Thread: Whyte island boat ramp /fishermans Island ramp condition?

Whyte island boat ramp /fishermans Island ramp condition?

I am just wondering how this ramp is with the really low tides we will be having on Thursday. Is there plenty of ramp at the low and is it super slippery. I have used Pinkenba ramp most of the time and I have noticed it is very slippery on the dead low and extreme care should be taken. I have a 4.4mtre open tinny . Cheers Shane
    PS if you use pinkenba please be careful as it is very slippery at the dead low.

Re: Whyte island boat ramp /fishermans Island ramp condition?

as with any boatramp be very careful really low tides, don't wear thongs {the ones you put on your feet} but the pontoon there is very helpful for boarding

I think I will stay away from the other type of thong thanks for your reply. Cheers shane

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

The side of the ramp closest to the pontoon is best at low tides. The other side of the ramp has a build up of mud, messy stuff.

just an up date. I used the whyte island ramp at the port of brisbane with the low tide of .17mtr at 530am today While care was taken it was not slippery and was easy to use. I would use this ramp again as it is much better than the one in pinkinba. The one at kirri street pinkenba is very slippery at low tide to the point of unsafe.

Cheers shane

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Shane
    The ramp is high pressure water blasted every month and treated for algae growth.
    The mud on the western side of the ramp builds up continually and is cleaned off as best as possible every time the blasting is undertaken.
    As for all the mud and crap all over the pontoon talk to the cast netters.
    But then it is their god given right to cast off it and make a big mess...
    Jim.
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF