Thread: Fish ID required

Fish ID required

G'day fellow fishos,

Fish ID required.

I was trolling off the side of the reef up in the Whitsundays when I saw a black blob in the water. I lapped around to take another look at it, and I had never seen it before.

It was about 15-20 large fish, that sort of looked like a black dolphin fish (sort of). It had a sail fish type dorsal fin (sort of) but smaller. Each fish would have been about 2ft long (roughly). I googled the hell out of spawning fish, shoaling fish etc but nothing comes close to what I saw.

Sorry about the poor description, I've attached some terrible photos that hopefully may help.

If you have seen this or know what it is, I would love to find out.

IMG_3649.jpgIMG_3650.jpgIMG_3651.jpg

Re: Fish ID required

Could they have been black trevally ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. From description (can't see much in the photos), check out lancetfish?

Odieman,
    Thanks for the post, but definitely not trevally. But yes, they were nice and black like some.

Phantom,
    On the right track, they had dorsal fins like the lancetfish, like a small sail (I had to google it). But definitely not the same head as them.

The glimpse that I got of one of them when they took off looked sort of like a dolphin fish head? Apart form the description, has anyone seen fish behave like this before?

Was the dorsal black? First thing that comes to mind when same head as dolphinfish is mentioned is butterfly mackerel, but dorsal is different. Will keep looking.

Maybe cobia?

They could be Manta rays, seen schools of juveniles at North West Island, only a few feet long and their flaps break the surface like that.

I have seen batfish form up in tight schools up near and on the surface around the change of tide. Biggest ones would be close to 2 foot long and they are dark in colour, but that is about where the similarities end.

Thanks for the help crew. Still no definitive answer, I guess I'll have to keep searching for them and get a better photo or at least a better look. It may take another ten years but so be it.

could be pompano dolphinfish normally blackish from water view

How about juvenile amberjack