Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does braid last ?

How long does braid last ?

So. I've gone to tie a snap swivel on and my 30kg braid snapped during the tying. I also lost a decent queenfish on another rod.

1. The braid is cheap Chinese stuff
    2. It about 2 years old
    3. I wash my rods thoroughly after use

Is it worth buying the suffix or spiderwire for $50 for 300m ?

Would it last longer ? I am thinking they may have a better uv testing or rating

Re: How long does braid last ?

Haven't got and aerogard or bushman's overspray on the gelspun.....well known to kill GSP.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch73 View Post
    1. The braid is cheap Chinese stuff
    Suspect your problem is right there. I have braid on some reels that would be the best part of 8-10 years old. My rods are hosed off, allowed to dry and then sprayed with wd40, wiped down and then stored away from sunlight. I have never had braid let go that wasn't physically damaged. Various brands, but all name brands - Fins, Berkley, Platypus, Wilson, Bionic and others.

So it's definitely worth buying good braid. What brand would you suggest ?

Depends what it's for. For deep water bottom bashing I like Berkley Whiplash Pro. For bait casting tackle when I am up the dam - Bionic. Apart from that I have used pretty much anything handled by your local major fishing retailer and have never had an issue with any. You will get a different answer from just about every fisho that uses braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch73 View Post
    So it's definitely worth buying good braid. What brand would you suggest ?

Yes and powerpro braid

I used to use the cheap Chinese stuff, and thought it was great when I started using berkley fireline (classic) but have recently switched to berkley fireline exceed and can honestly say it's definitely worth the extra money, it's silky smooth to cast with compared the the classic, well worth it IMO
    .......Ash

I like any japanese braid it's round and feels smooth not rough like some other brands. I visually check the condition of the braid especially the high traffic area, first 10 metres from your leader, swivel. Line is what connects you, to your fish don't buy cheap rubbish. Big fish will test everything in what gear your using, if they find a fault they will punish you for it. You get what you pay for.
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Most of my fishing is done with 60-80lbs heavy braid with locked drag.
    Mid range 60lbs brand is wonderful, I trust fully and give it to it. Not sure of the brand name but didn't pay too much.

Bought an expensive one of those colourful braids 60lbs for one of my reel and paid nearly $200. Don't recall the brand
    Spoused to be one of those special design for heavy jigging which I though it can put up the abuse.
    Fails all the time, as soon as I got a bit excited on pulling.....
    Colouring on it confuses me more than anything also.
    Lost so many big fish to failed braid with this rod.
    So it gets penalised as replacement reel these days as only used once all the gear is lost on other rods until I tie the gear back on, and back to rocket launcher again to look at his friends having fun.

The most expensive doesn't mean the best for a situation however cheapest is nasty in most cases.

Max

I had 80lbs multicoloured jigging stuff and I thought it was rotting. The braid wasn't rotten I had a small spit in the last eye on my rod, which kept cutting the braid nearly every time I tried to hook a fish. What's going on? Check your eyes on your rod for damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. For the sake of $50 once you've spent the $$$ to get there, its a no brainer in my opinion...
    No need to spend mega bucks, but won't buy fused lines ( Fireline, SpiderWire etc), always woven/braided lines, minimum 4 carrier braid.

I'll use Powerpro, Suffix 832, Fins, but prefer Sunline Super PE for most applications. Best bang for buck line in my opinion, as its round, supple, good knot strength, and hydrophobic.

I too use Inox on the reels occasionally, but store them out of direct sunlight, some lines over 5 years old, and the Super PE is still going strong....

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I've got Platil Millenium on a couple of my reels that is 10 years old. Never had it fail. Tufline is another excellent braid. Definitely worth spending money to have confidence in your gear. And buy it from a bricks and mortar shop. If you buy brand-name stuff off E'bay, the spool might say "Tufline" or whatever, but you can't be sure that's what's on it.

Also note there are 4 strand and 8 strand braids, you should find the smoother rounder braids to be 8 strand. I like Sunline and Spiderwire has served me well also. You get what you pay for. The Japanese produce high end braid also Jerry Brown from the states. Most all of the brands mentioned above are good. I suspect a lot of the mid range braids come from the same factory. There are less factories than brands (just a thought). Changing out line is a part of fishing, nothing lasts forever and I would hate to loose that trophy fish because of faulty line. I'd be happy getting two years out of a spool.

After a bit of research Elite White TASLINE is probably the best braid out there very strong but thin. This braid has been tested and passed with flying colours. I'm yet to find a better braid!!!! www.bustedfishing.com cheers Dogtoooth.

Fins would be one of the best budget priced braids IMO never had an issue.........
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.