Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Origin boats??? Gone????

Re: Origin boats??? Gone????

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDAFF View Post
    You need to do your homework better .. a lot better before making ridiculous claims like 'the only two boat builders never to go broke'.
    Homework like having an old man that was in the industry for many years or being a keyboard warrior on ausfish?

Mitch's comment re "the only two builders" ...etc was a bit of a long bow to draw, however was probably also a little 'tongue in cheek', but I for one remember drooling over the Cresta 46's many decades ago and for a long time too - beautiful lines and great boats (although I have never had the pleasure of being in one).

However I can also see how this comment could be taken the wrong way - as there are still a decent amount of good Aussy builders that have been around a long time, or are even now 2nd or 3rd generation and still going very strong - and from both ends of the size/intended market, i.e Norman Wright & Sons, HS, and of course Cruise Craft (3rd gen) to name a few that come to mind.

There are also boat brands that have unfortunately gone under the 1st time round, then through new and completely different owners/managers, have prospered and survived the GFC through good management and a slightly revised market direction.

Then there is also one builder that has had so many 'resurrections' under the same brand I have lost count...

I also wouldn't call the DAFF a keyboard warrior. Like all of us, he has a strong opinion sometimes, but always helps a lot of people out whenever he comes on here - as I recall.

My sympathies for the seven people who got the wrong end of the bargain. Hope all goes well for you guys.

Cheers
    Brendon

Soooooo, in a nutshell how many or should I ask who or which decent platey builders are left worthyhy of dealing with ???.

The "S" brand seemed to have more lives than a cat if that is who you were referring to Brendon.

Big fingers with post up n running without meaning to so early so will try round it up. Used to like surfing the net regarding bi plateys for the " Last one " with Origin being one on the list , Riptide , AMM n a few others.
    go on the net now n hardly any standing out of the woodwork????.
    Riptide , they still up n running ???...

I still love the ride of he cresta46. Dad also stretched and widened it to a 56' which I think there are 4 of and a one off 65'

i should add my comment should have read. "Are the only 2 I know of." And list the huge quantities of sub leasers and people who leased. Whole factories only to vacate and leave moulds and half finished boats and months of unpaid rent.

i also think that some of the biggest brands went down. I seem to remember quintrex going into liquidation. Haines hunter also. I could be wrong though

also riviera. Rumour is bill sold it for $180m and bought it back from receivers for around $6m

i spent my life around the boat industry it is full of great designers building great products with no costing or accounting skills. Investors prepared to fund the first build on a wing and a prayer.

Apologies if I missed any companies that never went bust.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The "S" brand seemed to have more lives than a cat if that is who you were referring to Brendon.
    Mouth tightly closed Scotty ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch73 View Post
    ... I seem to remember quintrex going into liquidation....
    Not the current owners, who have owned the company for at least 2 decades, and bought many others along the way to expand the Telwater fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch73 View Post
    ...also riviera. Rumour is bill sold it for $180m and bought it back from receivers for around $6m...
    Mitch, that would be Mariner. Not sure about the numbers, but BBC sold it for very good money, started Riv, then bought it back for an absolute song and added it to the Riv stable. Riv also bought Mustang when Mustang were in big trouble/went broke, but I think that was after BBC's era.

Riv were in a bit of trouble a few yrs ago, voluntary administration from memory, but a management buy-in combined with an O/S investor (from memory), and some hard yards for a year or so, saw them trade out of it.

Big change from the boom period of the early 2000's when Riv were making one boat per day, and still had a long waiting list!!
    Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I have removed a post by Rodpal due to some untruths. If you are commenting on any forum you can have an opinion, but if you specifically state something as being fact, it should be true, otherwise all you are doing is harming or otherwise, someone, someones reputation, family, friends etc etc.

These threads about business's going bankrupt, liquidation or simply closing down pop up here from time to time, and mostly draws a lot of " speculation ".

The people that are directly affected by this issue certainly have the right to have their say.

Let's also remember, that if you are personally involved and are " aggrieved " , there may be legal action undertaken by yourself down the track and anything you say on here or other forums, will certainly be garnered by " legal types ".

As I said, we all have opinions and they are always welcome, but let's stick to the facts when making specific statements.

cheers LP
    Well maybe the people involved should come on here and put any rumours to bed. They are current members are they not?

Given the advice that I have heard of coming from liquidators, I wouldn't go holding your breath waiting for that to happen.

I hate to say it but i remember mods deleting posts and threads about di lyons and LF&I and look how that turned out.....

I joined "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    Well maybe the people involved should come on here and put any rumours to bed. They are current members are they not?
    The thing with that, is that as individual, ANONYNMOUS members, we can say pretty much what we like on here, now, a business man comes on, representing his company, which may or may no be in liquidation, doesn't really have that same luxury does he? In fact, you guys would probably crucify him, even though you only know a small part of the issue. He'd be in a no win situation.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Gday guys, after getting a plate boat built this time last year I am feeling for the poor people that have been let down by Origins issues. As far as there being very few boat builders that are still in business, this may be the case but after my build I was extremely satisfied with the builder I dealt with.
    Now I am sure a lot of you blokes are going to call me foolish and naive but I do take a man on his word and trusted that I would be likewise. After paying a small deposit to secure a spot on a 20 month waiting list and securing a price at this time with a handshake, I patiently waited. When the call came for the first of 5 progress payments, I promptly paid and this was the case again for the next 4. I regularly visited the build and trusted the builder. At the end, I am very happy to be the owner of a RIPTIDE boat.
    Just be careful boys not to judge all boat builders as some are very genuine blokes just trying to make a living like most of us.
    once again, I am sorry to hear about origin and the buyers who have lost out but keep in mind, some blokes are still good for their word.

Cheers
    Lee
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Gday guys, after getting a plate boat built this time last year I am feeling for the poor people that have been let down by Origins issues. As far as there being very few boat builders that are still in business, this may be the case but after my build I was extremely satisfied with the builder I dealt with.
    Now I am sure a lot of you blokes are going to call me foolish and naive but I do take a man on his word and trusted that I would be likewise. After paying a small deposit to secure a spot on a 20 month waiting list and securing a price at this time with a handshake, I patiently waited. When the call came for the first of 5 progress payments, I promptly paid and this was the case again for the next 4. I regularly visited the build and trusted the builder. At the end, I am very happy to be the owner of a RIPTIDE boat.
    Just be careful boys not to judge all boat builders as some are very genuine blokes just trying to make a living like most of us.
    once again, I am sorry to hear about origin and the buyers who have lost out but keep in mind, some blokes are still good for their word.

Cheers
    Lee
    I understand what you are saying there any-weather but if it all went south the owners of any company will not be selling there house to make sure you are not out of pocket.
    I see how they get out off it without being made accountable all the time owning a accounting firm
    like us we have protected ourselves if anything goes wrong so dont ever think anyone is good for their word when it comes to money
    cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

I honestly think that boatbuilders shouldn't ask for any progress payments until the boat is delivered.

I bought my Surtees direct from the factory in NZ prior to them having a Qld dealer. I paid 10% deposit on placing my order and the balance on completion when it was packed into the container ready to be sent to me here. The boat and trailer was 100% complete, fully wired and fitted out, plus the trailer and that's how the business was transacted between us, across the Tasman Sea.

I had the motor fitted here in Aus along with the electronics, so that was the only difference. I gathered that I would have paid for, and had ownership of those items, if I had them done by Surtees as part of the build.

That is the main problem with these smaller builders - many of them have insufficient capital invested into the business. Really, if their finances can't stand the cost of materials and labour during the construction phase, which is only a couple of months at most, then you have to wonder how well their businesses are managed, they must be flying close to the wind if one customer not paying for a completed boat would put them under.

A mate had a glass cat built a year ago and his deal was much the same as mine. Paid a deposit, he paid for the motors and electronics he wanted himself, and he paid for the alloy trailer once it was built by the builder and registered in his name. The cost of the completed boat and all inclusions and fittings, less the 10% deposit, was paid right at the end when the finished product was delivered.

That is how it should be. The only extra risk that the builder then wears is the risk of an owner who pays their deposit and for motors and trailer, but then reneges from the deal and doesn't pay for the boat. Not much of a risk of that, IMO and certainly a risk the builder can and should carry.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....