Thread: Burnett heads help please

Burnett heads help please

hello all, My brother lives up in bundy and has just bought a boat and wants me to go up fish with him, whats a man to do?
    The boat is a whittley and is 17ft so offshore is definitely an option, my question is there much reef or structure not to wide? Not familiar with the fishing up that way much at all and any help would be greatly appreciated. river or outside. Thanks

Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Re: Burnett heads help please

I used to fish up that way quite a bit. Plenty of reef not too far out and some good wrecks also. Closest reef that is worth fishing (IMO) is Kolan Patch - about 15 km NE of Burnet Heads. There is also the '15 mile' and '17 mile' reefs heading E. A map with some generic marks used to be available from the local tackle shops, and that was what I used to get started. Not hard to find good ground from there.

If your brother has just bought the boat, make sure you have a good run in it in the river to make sure it is reliable and to become familiar with the handling before you head offshore and make sure you log on with the local VMR.

thanks Jeremy and a good shakedown has already been done but I wasn't present , I do trust his judgement, will see if I can find that generic map you mention would be very helpful. thanks

Craig

I used to live in Bundy and was a member of the Bundaberg Sportsfishing club,a great club that is kid friendly and not a bunch of piss heads.They have trips away and monthly meetings.As far as close stuff,look at 2 mile off Bargara or the Cochrane arti off Elliott heads.Ryans reef is about 5 ks from the river mouth,the 15 mile bommy has produced some nice Parrot for me.The Kolan was good for Spanish.

Thanks ,I will let my brother know about the club, I can only get up there occasionally and more people to fish with would be good, and thanks for the help on where to look.

good choice buying a whittley. I'm going on a tour of their factory in melbourne week after next

I was at Kelly's beach resort a few months ago and had to go to plan B and stay in the Burnett because of wind. Fishing with fresh yabbys was just what we needed, my wife and I had a ball with grunter and flathead the 1st day, went back to the same spot two days later and could not believe how different it was, not half the amount of fish coming in. Great part of the world, you still have options if the weather shuts your bigger plans down. Head out to Monduran dam for a crack at a barra too.

Scalem

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Just got back. Put the boat in at Burnett heads ramp. Drove just outside to birds working and pulled a 10kg queen fish and dropped others.
    Next day there was nothing. Locals were saying about 200m past the lighthouse and just where it drops off. About 500m-1k offshore