Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mullet

Mullet

Just wondering...the mullet that school up in big mobs in the Pine would be sea mullet, and as such would be subject to a 30cm limit right? Dropped a cast net on a couple the other day but wasnt sure of the legalities of using them for strip baits or taking home for tucker.

Re: Mullet

Yes 30cm and limit of 20 they should be sea mullet if there round at the base of tail they are if there flat there not .

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yes 30cm and limit of 20 they should be sea mullet if there round at the base of tail they are if there flat there not .
    Cheers Chris, sea mullet has convex tail and poddy have flat?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

The fisheries site has a pretty easy to identify chart for Mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Cheers Chris, sea mullet has convex tail and poddy have flat?

All Mullet tails look pretty much the same, but the body at the tail varies, as do the eyes

All mullet is good eating once they have been out in the sea for a few days.

In my experience poddies tend not to school up in the deeper water, that would tend to be school mullet.

Poddies is just a generic name for any small Mullet, I have caught them in inches of water, and seen them in schools way out past the shelf, what they are doing there is anyone's guess.

Noel, The Poddy's in the river are good Mullet, the ones out wide are wagging school............. Yep, grandad joke right there hahahaha
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I dont think the Fisheries Pics of Sea or Diomond Scale Mullet vs Poddy Mullet used for livies that can be smaller than the limit size of Diomond or sea Mullet.. do the ID Justice ..Anyone have a good ID pic of telling the difference ??.
    Some say yellow in the eyeball area others yellow spot back from the eye towards the gills ??..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    I dont think the Fisheries Pics of Sea or Diomond Scale Mullet vs Poddy Mullet used for livies that can be smaller than the limit size of Diomond or sea Mullet.. do the ID Justice ..Anyone have a good ID pic of telling the difference ??.
    Some say yellow in the eyeball area others yellow spot back from the eye towards the gills ??..
    I agree, very difficult to tell for me anyway from the pics.

I have this for you.

So the Sea Mullet and the Diamond Scale Mullet both have size and bag limits.

No such thing as a Poddy Mullet, just an undersized Mullet, like Squire is to Snapper.

I can get more precise details of description, if needed ?

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I have this for you.

So the Sea Mullet and the Diamond Scale Mullet both have size and bag limits.

No such thing as a Poddy Mullet, just an undersized Mullet, like Squire is to Snapper.

I can get more precise details of description, if needed ?

cheers LP
    So what you're saying is that the taking of any poddy mullet is illegal because you're taking under the size limit

No, that's not what he is saying, as mentioned a couple of times now, "poddy" is simply a name for small Mullet of all types, a couple do have size limits, some just have a bag limit, identifying the "size" species is not that difficult.

Had some Fisheries suss us out once.
    Very polite and informative and wanted to see in esky.
    Had a packet of frozen poddy mullet there and they said one has to be carefull with small mullet as if sea or diomond scale they do have size and bag limit.
    Chatted about how to ID them but for me its still a tad confusing and yes i would appreciate detailed info of how to.
    Nowdays unless positive i dont keep livies im not sure about, best way i think in staying safe.
    Though very rarely we get the sea mullet through here unless they are big buggars :-).