Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building up transom

Re: Building up transom

From the research I have been able to do the new motor Mercury 60 hp four stroke command thrust is 247lb/112kgs and the current 1994 Johnson 60 hp two stroke is about 269lb/122kgs. Only a difference of 10kgs.

I currently carry about 85 litres of fuel down at the transom end, more than I need, so if I cut this down the figures will be pretty close.

Am I thinking right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If that is the weight of the motor you will be fine, I "thought" you were fitting a 90? Don't know why, must have got confused with another thread.

Upgraded to this

Can't wit until I get her into water

Now I have early model Seafare v-sea (no motor) with near new trailer for sale as restoration project (transom needs partial or full replacement)

Hey shakey congrats on the upgrade.

Those Johnson donks are bulletproof. Here are a few tips.

They love a drink in high RPM. 4300 is the economical range. Choose a prop that lets them rev out and not lug under max rpm.

The carby gaskets like to leak so a service on the carbies should be factored in.

The power regulators like to overheat. So watch your battery voltage when running.

Always use the recommended plugs. They were built for specific plugs (champion I think).

The VRO oil system never failed on mine. In fact was pretty good. 4L per 220L of fuel.

The starting sequence was an art form. Push key in for 6-8sec. Lift throttle lever for higher RPM. Turn key. A cloud of smoke was a good thing. Meant the Pistons didn't fire in a dry barrel. Always warm the engines up before taking off.

Hot idling in gear was sometimes an issue for me. It would starve for fuel. A knock into neutral and bump the key and it would always fire again. I put it down to a carby float incorrect.

Have fun with it.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Thanks Rip it up.

Just had the mechanic go right over it. He said compression on all four cylinders were excellent at 145. Sa s its like key a new motor, which made me feel good.

As for prop do you have any records mendacious and if not wha is the best way to find out the best prop for this boat/motor.