Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Searchlight impressions?

Furuno Searchlight impressions?

Hi guys, we are building an 8m plate boat that will operate off Sydney (average conditions 1-2m and often a bit sloppy). We are in the fortunate position whereby a Furuno Searchlight sonar can be accommodated within the relatively smaller 8m hull (the searchlight needs about 1m of vertical space for install). These setups are normally installed in bigger game boats which are in the vicinity of 15~25t in weight (!) therefore 10x the mass of an 8m alloy boat...

So my questions are probably multi-faceted;

1) For those that have used searchlight in general, are you impressed? Can you find bait say several hundred metres horizontal to your boat? Has it helped find and catch fish? Are you catching fish you would otherwise miss in your opinion? If you are running say 200m past a bait school (which billfish / tuna may be stalking ) do you think your boat would have attracted the fish anyway - or do you think zero'ing on the bait school with some precision made a significant difference? Interested in your thoughts.

2) Had anyone used it on a relatively lightweight boat? As mentiond these setups are normally installed on bigger game boats, we intend on correcting the signal using a GPS compass (adjusting for pitch/roll/whathaveyou) but obviously the amount of movement is going to be significantly more in a smaller boat. I don't know this has been proven to work in such an application, i may be wrong (and hope i am).

If you have any thoughts i will definitely appreciate input (please PM me if you deem appropriate).

Cheers.

Re: Furuno Searchlight impressions?

I have installed a couple (CH-300's) and there is no way I would be shelling out the amount of coin involved, and then sticking it into an 8 metre tinnie. In my opinion, you will destroy it unless your boat never goes above displacement speed (which may be the case if you fit one - seen how heavy they are?) I can't comment on whether the software will cope with the amount and speed of the motion in rougher conditions as one was in a 55 footer and the other in a 70 footer. Assuming you are fitting outboards, you will need to be exceptionally mindful of retracting prior to quick application of throttle - they do have auto retract but it isn't instant and a small boats acceleration is generally a bit snappier than your typical gamefisher.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I have installed a couple (CH-300's) and there is no way I would be shelling out the amount of coin involved, and then sticking it into an 8 metre tinnie. In my opinion, you will destroy it unless your boat never goes above displacement speed (which may be the case if you fit one - seen how heavy they are?) I can't comment on whether the software will cope with the amount and speed of the motion in rougher conditions as one was in a 55 footer and the other in a 70 footer. Assuming you are fitting outboards, you will need to be exceptionally mindful of retracting prior to quick application of throttle - they do have auto retract but it isn't instant and a small boats acceleration is generally a bit snappier than your typical gamefisher.
    Thanks, much appreciated. The boat in question whilst only 8m is quite heavy, it will hold 800L of fuel and run outboards. Your concerns about destroying the hardware are interesting. Assuming we can overcome those constraints, and perhaps you can limit your comments to larger boats, have you seen it in action, does it pay significant dividends in real world applications?

Like so many sounders, it comes down more to the user in the end. The last one I fitted was on an Assegai gamefisher called "Askari". From the limited interaction with the skipper/owner prior to my exit from the industry, results were positive with the unit being capable of marking fish ahead of the vessel and thus allowing course changes to put the vessel closer to the fish. I never had the opportunity to actually fish on board and sea trials were done in relatively shallow water so I never really had a chance to stretch the units legs. I've attached a link to the website - the skippers number is on it. Might be worth a call.

http://www.hardcoregamefishing.com.au/askari

Thanks i will call Corey (some people in my office went to school with him coincidentally).

I would love to hear from people who have used searchlight for successful fishing

Fast forward a few months and after a lot of head scratching i decided to go for the sonar (in addition to the usual bells and whistles).

Here are some progress pics, you can see the tube the sonar is being mounted into. A lot of thought has gone into the application...

IMG_3330.jpgIMG_9026.jpgIMG_9028.jpgIMG_9029.jpgImg_3342.jpgIMG_3338.jpg

theres some serious dollars going into that ! is that a MODA hull?. looks fantastic
    love to get a bit of a progress interview with you for MEWM

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Yes Moda-- Shane has been great and he is managing the entire project. They guy is a perfectionist and just couldn't be done without him.

Looks the goods Vinvaite. Who is supplying/commisioning your gear? Make sure they pay particular attention to the spacers that stop the sound dome moving excessively in the tube.It's a fiddley job but will be important to get right. From the photos it looks like they have made the area where the tube is water tight to deck level?? - good idea. It's a big hole - had a minor disagreement with one builder over responsibility for water intrusion after they installed a tube that was shorter than the water line was high. If any of the non waterproof components are to be installed in there below the height of waterline, I would also put an auto pump or a bilge alarm in the compartment if the top of the actual tube itself is below water line.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Looks the goods Vinvaite. Who is supplying/commisioning your gear? Make sure they pay particular attention to the spacers that stop the sound dome moving excessively in the tube.It's a fiddley job but will be important to get right. From the photos it looks like they have made the area where the tube is water tight to deck level?? - good idea. It's a big hole - had a minor disagreement with one builder over responsibility for water intrusion after they installed a tube that was shorter than the water line was high. If any of the non waterproof components are to be installed in there below the height of waterline, I would also put an auto pump or a bilge alarm in the compartment if the top of the actual tube itself is below water line.
    Thanks for the advice, i will take it on board. Furuno are supplying/commissioning the setup alongside the builder (Moda).

Boats coming along nicely, it should be in getting painted as we speak?

Yes we finalised colours about a week ago, it's in the paint shop now, shouldn't be too much longer now

Out of the paint shop, fitout underway
    IMG_9887.jpgIMG_9904.jpgIMG_9891.jpgIMG_9890.jpg

arh so its your boat they teased on the MODA FB page today.. nice one . looking forward to this one

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

MODA - Artist in Aluminium

Nice broken sheer - mini Rybovich

That transducer is a huge cost, for such a small boat.

Ok to ask, how you justified it to yourself ? and have you had many boats ?