Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Searchlight impressions?

Re: Furuno Searchlight impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by koastal View Post
    Is Flir part of its package ? or extra ?
    It's a custom boat - you ask and they include it. It was part of my Furuno package. I decided against radar this time instead going night vision. I found radar a waste of time in a trailerboat off Sydney. Hopefully the FLIR will allow me to leave and return in darkness, beat the ramp rush and extend fishing time.

Quote Originally Posted by vinvaite View Post
    It's a custom boat - you ask and they include it. It was part of my Furuno package. I decided against radar this time instead going night vision. I found radar a waste of time in a trailerboat off Sydney. Hopefully the FLIR will allow me to leave and return in darkness, beat the ramp rush and extend fishing time.

Having used both at night, the Flir will help but certainly doesn't replace the 360 degree field of view a radar generates. You won't be able to see a craft approaching on a collision course from the side past a certain angle and even trying to view something like an unlit beacon the range is limited compared to radar. Have you left provision for a scanner unit? Possibly one of the new DRS4D-NXT units.

Nothing replaces keeping an eye out i guess. but i found radar (in a relatively small boat) being bounced around off Sydney / regular conditions 1-2m in sloppy seas is next to useless at least with the 4G Simrad radar on the sailfish. We never spot small craft using it, unless we are in relatively calm waters in the bay etc. which is all lit up anyway-- so for me it's practically useless. I have AIS for the offshore stuff (more for camping overnight) but i guess i can add radar later if we feel we need it.

The thing which i really need is the ability to avoid fish traps and various flotsam. That's the thing which worrys me the most when travelling at night, i hope the FLIR is good enough for spotting those things.

Makes sense .

Is the flir stabilized Vin ? or is that unnecessary ?

Makes sense .

Is the flir stabilized Vin ? or is that unnecessary ?
    No it's not - and at speed that is part of the downfall. You end up with your eyes glued to it trying to make out what you are looking at - the main thing we were doing was looking for whales (nearly shat ourselves when a dolphin cleared the surface just in front of the boat).

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No it's not - and at speed that is part of the downfall. You end up with your eyes glued to it trying to make out what you are looking at - the main thing we were doing was looking for whales (nearly shat ourselves when a dolphin cleared the surface just in front of the boat).
    You are the electronics guru.

Hope you do it for a living

What about the iris one scottar, any good

Used to do it for a living - no money in it - got out after 20 years about 5 years ago. Slow learner. Not familiar with the Iris system but assume it would be similar to the Flir that is available for civilian use. There are really good ones available - that produce the sort of images you see from the various war zones and cop shows - not sure on the dollars now but they used to be about (you sitting down) $250K for the full monty but as a civilian, even if you could afford it, you weren't allowed it. Heaps more variants now - stabilization is available in the top end varieties - just had a look but the price I would expect would be eye watering.

250k Yikes

Bit cheaper now, thats the prob with technology, what is bought today can be reduntant tomorow.

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/ir...o-good-be-true

what good is the searchlight is we can't have a BBQ during those 10hr trolling sessions

IMG_0590.jpgIMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vinvaite View Post
    what good is the searchlight is we can't have a BBQ during those 10hr trolling sessions

IMG_0590.jpgIMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpg
    LOL. At a quick glance I thought - "F#@* me - it's got a dishwasher"..... It is the fridge I assume - and the kitchen sink is hiding somewhere. Very nice rig.

nah just a fridge. Btw those stupid tiny sinks on trailerboats give me the irits-- so useless and such a waste of space. So we are integrating a freshwater tap/sink into the back of the bait station..

IMG_0573.jpg

Includes the Kitchen sink.

What power did you choose Vinvaite ?

I am seeing a pair of 350 to shift that weight

What a ride.
    You need a dishwasher, scottar is on to it

iris is looking the biz price wise.
    man that is one of the best tinnies ive ever seen.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Includes the Kitchen sink.

What power did you choose Vinvaite ?

I am seeing a pair of 350 to shift that weight
    Twin 350's would never fit. Plus we have to tow this thing.

We ended up with twin 200's suzuki's