Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Furuno Searchlight impressions?

Re: Furuno Searchlight impressions?

Koastal if you must know this is my fourth boat, look about these parts for my previous build thread.

When you do research into the cost of big plate trailerboats you will find such a sonar is in the vicinity of about 15% ~ 20% of build cost. Some guys wouldn't or couldn't spend up to that ratio on fish finding gear but to me it's one of the most important components of the boat; why?-- I do 600hrs+ a year trolling off Sydney, we do not have concentrated bait grounds here. I assume you know what the sonar is about... so that should answer your question.

If that's not enough -- dummy up a spreadsheet and factor in BMT depreciation + maintenance + fuel costs over say three years (i've done about 20,000nm in my sailfish) it starts to make your eyes water. Then think about the tow vehicle, what do you reckon that costs? The depreciation alone on that over three years far exceeds the sonar cost. Put all this into context and the sonar doesn't seem so crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by vinvaite View Post
    Koastal if you must know this is my fourth boat, look about these parts for my previous build thread.

When you do research into the cost of big plate trailerboats you will find such a sonar is in the vicinity of about 15% ~ 20% of build cost. Some guys wouldn't or couldn't spend up to that ratio on fish finding gear but to me it's one of the most important components of the boat; why?-- I do 600hrs+ a year trolling off Sydney, we do not have concentrated bait grounds here. I assume you know what the sonar is about... so that should answer your question.

If that's not enough -- dummy up a spreadsheet and factor in BMT depreciation + maintenance + fuel costs over say three years (i've done about 20,000nm in my sailfish) it starts to make your eyes water. Then think about the tow vehicle, what do you reckon that costs? The depreciation alone on that over three years far exceeds the sonar cost. Put all this into context and the sonar doesn't seem so crazy.
    Cheers - makes sense, to a degree. Saves a lot of fuel wandering around the ocean looking for bait. Mind you 15+k buys a lot of fuel.

Does the searchlite negate the requirement to run any other transducers / screens ?

What about appendage drag ? I was considering a B260 transducer, which is in a low resistance fairing block, but was advised against it as 30+ foot was required ( to avoid handling issues) in the eyes of the experts. I know the searchlight is retractable, so do you only use it when trolling ?

Are you running a stabilizer /satellite compass also ? I would think that would be mandatory on a small plate boat as i would expect, would roll / bob about, much more than the traditional boats that use this highly desirable system.

I took your advice and checked out your other build. That previous boat the 8m Sailfish would have been most forum members dream boat. Can i ask what made you change to a Mono ? - sorry pretty nosey feel free to ignore but I am sure other would like to hear also

Best of luck with the rest of the build and look forward to reading more about it

I wish it was only $15k Koastal. Moreso 15% of the total build cost. FWIW the searchlight only works at trolling speed (<12kts) and yes you need a satellite compass to make it function (in any boat) really. Regarding drag - that is a valid concern and that's where a real boat builder like Moda comes into play. If you look into how others have implemented searchlight you might shake your head. Centre of gravity and hull balance is something Moda have put a lot of thought into here. Critical for a smaller boat. Yes we still need to run regular transducers for spotting bait whilst travelling (>12kts) and for marking individual fish hanging off bait once you find them. All Furuno gear here. You are going to see the results within a few months, some no-nonsense feedback.

As mentioned I have done 1200hrs+in the sailfish now (and probably a couple of hundred more before this new one is ready) and clocked up twenty thousand Nm along the way-- and a lot of fish. It's been a great fishing platform, the backup service is just EXCELLENT with Sailfish. However there is no perfect boat. I have crystalised what sort of fishing I want to focus on for the next 2-3 years, and it just so happens Moda are more suited to making this happen given the gear and application. For starters, how about 800L fuel load? Anyway resale on the Sailfish is excellent (I regularly get offers to buy it btw) I could have sold it 10x over.

Quote Originally Posted by vinvaite View Post
    I wish it was only $15k Koastal. Moreso 15% of the total build cost. FWIW the searchlight only works at trolling speed (<12kts) and yes you need a satellite compass to make it function (in any boat) really. Regarding drag - that is a valid concern and that's where a real boat builder like Moda comes into play. If you look into how others have implemented searchlight you might shake your head. Centre of gravity and hull balance is something Moda have put a lot of thought into here. Critical for a smaller boat. Yes we still need to run regular transducers for spotting bait whilst travelling (>12kts) and for marking individual fish hanging off bait once you find them. All Furuno gear here. You are going to see the results within a few months, some no-nonsense feedback.

As mentioned I have done 1200hrs+in the sailfish now (and probably a couple of hundred more before this new one is ready) and clocked up twenty thousand Nm along the way-- and a lot of fish. It's been a great fishing platform, the backup service is just EXCELLENT with Sailfish. However there is no perfect boat. I have crystalised what sort of fishing I want to focus on for the next 2-3 years, and it just so happens Moda are more suited to making this happen given the gear and application. For starters, how about 800L fuel load? Anyway resale on the Sailfish is excellent (I regularly get offers to buy it btw) I could have sold it 10x over.
    Cheers Vin

You have the fishing bug pretty bad ! - I rotate between golf / cars / boats / fishing myself

I agree there is no perfect boat. ( we need a quiver)

Yes thought the searchlight and associated works would have been nearer 30k but like guessing a womans age I erred low

Thier must have been something that made you switch to the dark side (mono) have my own theories and prob dont expect to hear the real reasons until it is long gone

I look forward to seeing what your next vessel will be as with the sea time you do you will have accumalated a mountain of knowledge which will manifest itself in the next "near perfect " boat for "your" current needs

Keep us posted on MODA and searchlight

don't get me started on race cars...

Glass and riggers on today
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok interior fitout underconstruction, insane quality for a trailerboat (or any boat for that matter)....

Moda go the extra mile

Helm and other fitout getting there

IMG_0358.jpg

now thats a helm!. i love MODA taking the approach that. jsut because its an alloy boat it needs to look and feel like a washing machine. or scaffolding. its nice to have some class and comfort. the boat mate, is looking AMAZING. i need to interview you when its done

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

The sonar is mounted. A great credit to Shane@Moda for making this possible -- you are a legend mate

I saw the pictures on Facebook, looking forward to seeing your results, very nice boat

additional use for searchlight screen whilst travelling....

Is Flir part of its package ? or extra ?

It's an extra.

Just as a check Vinvaite, extend your sound dome, grab hold of it and try and "rattle" it. Assuming the lads have got the shim adjustment correct (No reason to assume they haven't but from experience I know it's a fiddly PITA job) there will be no or next to no movement. Install certainly looks well done.

How much extra ... scottar ?