Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer bearings - hub full of grease or not?

Re: Trailer bearings - hub full of grease or not?

Good thought but notice I said I half fill the hub with grease not totally. Most hubs or BB will lose a small percentage of grease during normal use so topping up via the grease nipple is a good practice occasionally but you need some reserve space for grease. If you pump more in when it's already full, thats when you start popping inner seals and dust caps and can actually lose bearing buddies if they have not been a tight fit.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Re: Trailer bearings - hub full of grease or not?

So if I can ask a stupid question. How do you know if the hub is completely "Full of Grease"???
    Scalem I pump the BB up then spin the wheel until the BB relaxes, then repeat MANY times until grease starts to weep from the rear seal.
    I guess there could be bubbles of air still inside that will come out sooner or later but I think it's pretty much all grease.
    I got 10 years out of my last bearings before I scrapped the trailer and they still felt perfect, my current trailer is on about 5 years and so far so good.
    Other than a little grease pump up maybe twice a year I never give them a thought, same as car wheel bearings they seem to last forever.

Edit: Hard to pop marine seals when they rest against a 45mm square axle and my non genuine BBs have a bleed off hole in the side to limit compression.
    I'd like to get genuine BBs but if it ain't broke......