Thread: Rod to go with Shimano Baitrunner 6000

Rod to go with Shimano Baitrunner 6000

I made an initial investment in a set of entry level reels to get started for in-shore and near offshore fishing.

Shimano Sedona 2500
    Shimano Symetre 4000
    Shimano Baitrunner 6000

Shimano TLD 25 ,

The two bigger reels came with cheap rods as part of a package. Last night (on the turn of the tide) I hooked up to a 4 foot gummy shark on the Baitrunner and the Shimano Eclipse 8-12 Kg rod broke in half. So I'm looking for a replacement. I'm thinking of a budget in the $80-$120 area. (There's 20% off sale on rods now.) This will be my main rod for heavier spinning duties so it has to be an all-rounder. I don't want to break the next one and lose a Mulloway or a Kingfish the size of the gummy (which I did manage to land, by the way.) Oh, I'm running 10Kg mono on this reel.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Steve
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Re: Rod to go with Shimano Baitrunner 6000

Just to get things going, i'm sure someone else with fine tune with brands and model numbers etc.

its hard to know where this rod fits into your tackle without knowing what you are running on your other setups.

assuming you want to cover most options from inshore to offshore, you should have it set up something like this:
    Shimano Sedona 2500 - 2-4kg rod with 4-8lb line
    Shimano Symetre 4000 - 4-8kg rod with 15-30lb line
    Shimano Baitrunner 6000 - 6-10kg rod with 20-45lb line
    Shimano TLD 25 - a rod anywhere from 10-25kg and line to suit, its a reel that can be used for lots of different things and depends if you want it for line capacity (1000m of 30lb braid) or heavy tackle.

now this is only a rough guide to give you a bit of everything, some might say the line is to heavy for your rod but that depends how you like to fish. play a fish and slowly get it in or hook up and give it everything you got. i like to have line on the heavier side as i can always feel how to rod and reel are going and adjust so something doesn't break but its always harder to tell when the line is right at its limit.

wouldn't it be great if we could all get away with only having 4 setups that cover "everything"

Yep that's how I am set up. The question is a good replacement rod for the 6000 bait runner in the 8-12 kg area

I stand behind everything I say, except usually I'm prone.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Well it seems like you like your Shimano gear, as do it. you have set your price range so its just about finding something that is in there.

things to consider, i would go for a rod length about 7 foot. glass or graphite is next question.

i have used some nice glass rods over my time,
    the Silstar Crystal range would have something around 8-12kg, well priced and i have smashed one around for years and still can't break it.
    not sure if still available new but shimano had a nice glass rod in that price range. sorry i forget the name maybe a beastmaster.

as for graphite, i haven't had any experience with the cheaper models but the Terez are pretty awesome. although you do have to look after them or they will break.

I got Beastmaster's teamed up with Bait runner 6000's, they go perfectly fine together, can check to model if you like.

Rod to go with Shimano Baitrunner 6000

Thanks Sam, Yep I do like Shimano but I'm definitely at the bottom end of their range. My initial thought was that you have to catch a lotta fish before spending heaps on high price gear make a difference to your results. Having that eclipse rod bust on me though under not much pressure gave me second thoughts though. It's probably about a $40 rod (came with the combo) that's why I'm going up in price.

For fishing off the back of the boat I don't see I need the sensitivity of graphite. What types of fishing would need the sensitivity of graphite in a reel this size?

I'm not fussed about brand at this stage. I was even thinking of an ugly stick.

Crunchy how is yours spooled with what size rod and what kind of fishing do you do with it?

I stand behind everything I say, except usually I'm prone.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Ugly sticks are a good glass rod, very similar to the Silstar Crystal.

graphite is just totally different all together, best not to get one because then you will want to upgrade all your rods.

The Shimano Triton series seem to be good value for money and are within your price range. I have one matched with a baitrunner and makes a good combo for bay snapper.

Mate Check out Sneaky Fisho they have some good bargains and sometimes further discounts on rods etc.

Some of their T Curves are a good prices and will be a good combo with a bait runner

I run a bait runner 8000 with a 10-15 uglystick and the 4000 with a salt rod. i was a bit sceptical about the salt due to the price but if I'm honest it feels much nicer the the beastmaster i borrowed for a week, worth a look if the budget is a little tight.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemid View Post
    Crunchy how is yours spooled with what size rod and what kind of fishing do you do with it?
    OK I got two batirunners, one is on a ~10Kg Beastmaster and the other ~10Kg Ugly Stick, I prefer the Ugly Stick as its a bit longer at 2.25 compared to the Beastmaster 1.8 something, I did have my baitrunner on a 10-15T-Curve but that was not the right reel for that nice rod so now got a Saragossa on the t-curve. The baitrunners / glass rods are versatile outfits, caught Cobia, Spanish, perlies and snapper although I pretty much only use them for trolling for Spanish now as I have the rods low to the water and they get a drenching so the baitrunners OK for that abuse plus the baitrunner fucntion good for spanish trolling. One is spooled with 80lb Fins which is rediuculous but I can't ever recall losing a fish with it, the other 50lb lo-stretch mono. Any of the suggestions above would be good but go for a longer (>2M) glass rod IMHO.

Stretch a few more $$ and buy this

http://www.sneakyfisho.com/shakespea...r-ss70610.html

OK link didnt work, go to sneaky fisho, they got a nice ugly stick for $159

Ok guys I've finally made a decision. First of all thanks to everyone for the advice. It sure helps and proves that two minds are better than one.

First of all let me say that it really pisses me off to have the web site insert the words "spammer" into my posts when I'm trying to share market information with friends.

I've really been around the block on this one. Night before last I went down to the local TackleWorld store and got sold on a Shimano store branded Kingy rod listed at $99 but sold to me for $70. I woke up this AM with buyers remorse and took it back for a refund. They showed me a 5-10kg Tcurve but in addition to the price, my bulky 6000 OC Baitrunner reel just didn't feel right on that 'fine' rod. Then I sent an email to sneaky summarising my dilemma and he also suggested a Shimano Tcurve Bluewater Saltwater 5-10kg Fishing Rod. These list for $319, he sells for 259 and with the now on 20% discount comes out to just over $200. with the 'deal' overcoming my aesthetic objections. That seems like a hell of a bargain for one of you rich miners. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on that but decided to go to BCF to look at the Beastmasters and the Ugly Stick. (Ive been worried with the roof of my boat covering 75 % of the cockpit, that if I missed setting the hook on a strike that I might crack a graphite rod against the roof abut 75% of the way up to the tip.) Anyway, to make a long story short. I ended up buying an Ugly Stick Gold from them which they had listed for $105 but on special for $84. and didn't have to pay any shipping. This rod is 7' long has Fuji reel seat and guides and is rated at 10-20 Kg but the action on it is pretty fast, the tip pretty whippy so i'm sure I'll be able to cast with it. At the end of the day the Tcurve was a beautiful piece of equipment but probably with more finesse that I am ready for. This Ugly Stick seems to suit me and the reel: bulky, butt ugly and able to take punishment.

All in all the advice I got here on Ausfish and the service I got from the 3 vendors mentioned (hopefully their names wont get wiped) was outstanding. Thanks again to everyone.

Steve
    PS Thanks again to everyone but especially Crunch who took the trouble to go out and survey his gear for me.

S&S34
    Spirited 230