Thread: Rod and Reel To Suit Red Fish

Rod and Reel To Suit Red Fish

Hey guys, just came back from a charter and used my Samaki offshore pro pe6 with a Tyrnos 20 and 50lb braid.. and my arms are killing me!
    I am however sure fishing 70m shouldn't be this hard... I think I have a very out of balance combo... Can anyone recommend a rod and reel pairing that would suit North Queenslands reefs? I'm not bias to overhead or spin.

I don't get out as often as I'd like but I would love a nice balanced combo that can hold at least 300m of line with good stopping power.

Re: Rod and Reel To Suit Red Fish

Depending on how many $ you wat to spend
    overhead combo------Daiwa saltiga LD40 it is a 2 speed. $569 paired with a Daiwa Demon blood ( southern blue) or (ahi) $350. Then the braid of your choice. This combo will land everything and is lite enough to fish all week and you can drop it into low and you don't even know your winding your sinker up.

spin combo-------can not go wrong with a 14000-20000 Saragossa $350 absolute spin weapons
    teamed with a terez40-80 $275 this will easily account for most fish in the sea and since you fish up there you could even use it for medium lures for gt's and other speedsters

hope this helps I've got the tyrnos 20 and I do not know how anyone can hold that brick and fish with it all day no wonder your arms are sore....
    cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

With heavy gear it is all about set up and technique. I personally have found with a heavy reel like a Tyrnos, that a longer softer rod, like a live fibre M10, that allows the rod to be put into a more vertical position with the use of a gimbal belt for the retrieve takes a huge amount of strain off both the arms and the lower back. The other thing that makes a huge difference is an extended handle on the reel. My handle is about 150mm long. It can be little ungainly at times but I can winch 24-32oz snapper leads from 150 metres with it all day. In really deep water, I add a kidney harness to the setup - it's like having your own personal masseuse for your lower back. Fishing this setup with 24oz lead recently I was pretty much keeping pace with Daiwa electrics in 130 metres.

Bloody good advice mate, thanks! Definitely the higher end on what I want to spend but not unrealistic. Now to pick them both up and see what I like the feel of!

I found with my current setup that the 45cm handle plus very flexible top half it makes the gible useless! Lifting just means more bend and less line up then having it under my arm which is twice as much musle work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Depending on how many $ you wat to spend
    overhead combo------Daiwa saltiga LD40 it is a 2 speed. $569 paired with a Daiwa Demon blood ( southern blue) or (ahi) $350. Then the braid of your choice. This combo will land everything and is lite enough to fish all week and you can drop it into low and you don't even know your winding your sinker up.

spin combo-------can not go wrong with a 14000-20000 Saragossa $350 absolute spin weapons
    teamed with a terez40-80 $275 this will easily account for most fish in the sea and since you fish up there you could even use it for medium lures for gt's and other speedsters

hope this helps I've got the tyrnos 20 and I do not know how anyone can hold that brick and fish with it all day no wonder your arms are sore....
    cheers scott
    I will back the Shimano Saragossa/Terez combo. Although we use the larger 25000 Saragossa, mostly because of the extra drag they pull compared to the next size down.

Just got back from 1770 where we each took one of these new combos : Saragossa 25000/Terez 80 (black) loaded with 50lb colour change braid. Got well over 600m of braid on the reel. They pull 20kg's of drag. GT knot tied to 60 or 80lb flouro leader.

All 4 of us also took several other high quality combos with us, including TCurves with Tekota 800's, Toriums etc.

After the first day fishing with the Saragossa combos and interchanging with the other rods, we didn't use any of the other rods again, except when we fished the shallows (6-10m range) for red throats where we used light 30lb spin gear. Everyone was just blown away about how nice they were to use and how effective they were on big fish.

I pulled a new PB red of 13kg on mine and it barely took line. I also hooked and fought a couple of 6ft whalers and it handled them well, which is more than can be said for the bloke on the end of the rod......... Had to play tag team with the deckie!

Just be aware the Terez are very high modulus graphite and it you high-stick them you can and will break them. Mind you, we gave them a very thorough workout on the Reds and sharks without any issues at all.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

The Saragosa is easily capable of handling what you want. Not bad value for money. My latest favourite, purely driven by price is a 10000 Sustain on a t-curve deep jig 400. (100lb braid), and another comfy outfit I use is an 8000 Stradic on a t-curve 200 (50lb). Just need to be kind to the t-curves, great rods but don't high stick them or knock them around in transport.

Rod and Reel To Suit Red Fish

For fishing 70m no option other than a lever drag reel. My favourite being the FinNor Marquesa 20, every turn of the handle is 130 cm of line retrieved. If you want a quick feed you can just put it in gear with the ratchet on. Another reason I like lever drag reels is when a red emperor is sucking on your bait you can feed him with a lever drag putting it in and out of gear. A spin reel you can't. Don't get a rod too stiff not much fun fishing with a power pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

If you are only going to use 50lb and spin, stick with the Saragosa 10000SW. It's awesome for that line class and the low gear is great for cranking fish. For the reel I would look at the T curve deep jig 200 or a Live Fibre venom 250. Both are short rods with nice bends so easy on the back.
    No need to get a bigger reel as reds will never take too much line on 50lb, even the big ones. In 70 metres you'll still half the spool left before hook up which is heaps. The lighter reel and shorter rods for better leverage will be so much easier to use.
    In fact it's debatable you need to step up even if you went 80lb braid. I just spooled my Gosa 10000 up with 80lb braid and reckon I got over 200 yards on it. Still heaps and the reel will take the extra drag you can put on in.
    Not saying Gosa is the way to go as it comes down to budget. The Fin Nor Lethal 100 comes into the mix with 80lb and up but it is a big heavy reel.
    What's your budget?