Thread: Fish ID please

Fish ID please

Caught these while chasing slimmies on the weekend, any idea what they are, they are the same size but fight twice as hard and were a better bait. Sorry about chopping the head off in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fish ID please

I'd call that a slimie!

cheers

jim

I don't think so as the head is different and the blue squiggly lines are not on a slimmie, also shape is more pointed both ends. When seen together obviously different fish, also doesn't have the gold reflection in the eyes, it appears to be related to the tuna family.

Slimy, caught literally millions of them, it's just a bigger one than you're used to, we regularly get them much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Slimy, caught literally millions of them, it's just a bigger one than you're used to, we regularly get them much bigger.
    Noelm, I was getting bigger slimmies and side by side they looked totally different, these were coming aboard in all sizee as were the slimmies. The flesh was quite dark as well compared to the slimmies.

That's a slimy mackerel, you are not getting confused and calling the yakkas or scad you usually catch "slimies" by chance?

Not sure what the other "things" we're, but that is a Simey, pretty good to eat when they are big, great smoked too.

Ok, found a really old fishing book which shows them as possibly slimmies, the slimmies I occasionally buy look like the ones I normally catch not like these, yakkas I know about as chase them also. I will try and get a pic of what I call a slimmie and one of these for comparison.

I guess this will have to wait as the weather has turned nasty with the wind blowing and due to a sudden change in my health I have to get some things cleared up before I am allowed to drive either a car or a boat, getting old is not "gracious" by any means, hopefully it is only a week or two away.

Hope you are well soon, I might be up your way later on, it's my turn to visit my mate at Caloundra, hope the fishing improves, he said it's been pretty slow.

Thanks Noelm, I'm hoping it will be cleared soon. I'll drop you a PM as it would be great to catch up, the fishing has slowed a little although the flatties are on the chew this week.

1000% Slimie as everyone else has said.

Slimy or not, it will make a fine Spanish bait.

Hi Dignity, Noel's spot on and he's in the slimey heartland, definitely a slimey just a big one. We get those big fellas here at Port Stephens too, wish they grew to 100kg eh!