Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ausfish Annual Agnes Water / 1770 M & G Reports

Re: Ausfish Annual Agnes Water / 1770 M & G Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Just a quick pic before the real reports start <>>>
    Can you provide a pic of the same jack without stretched out arms?

A quick report of my trip to 1770. Arrive Thursday. Got drunk. Friday, drunk. Saturday, drunk. Sunday, drunk. Monday not quite so drunk as previous days. Tuesday, went chasing Spanish. Got a few. Wednesday went out wide and got a feed but that's about it. Pretty disappointed in myself but hey that's fishing. Did get a nice Rosy Job. Hopefully my arms aren't too outstretched.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	110952Click image for larger version. 

Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	110951Click image for larger version. 

Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	110950

Cracker Rossie Macca.. Mate we came around the other day and you guys were out. Probably a good thing as we had a few cartons to knock over.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Cracker Rossie Macca.. Mate we came around the other day and you guys were out. Probably a good thing as we had a few cartons to knock over.
    Phew.......... Probably would have give it a red hot crack if it were after 530am. That was the last time you tried to give me a beer. Was a very funny M&G.

Guys I had a great time meeting heaps of new fellas and it was good to put a face to the names of a lot of you. As for the fishing we did get out this week and we got a good feed... 18 trout, 7 reds, 24 red throat and a mixed bag of cobia, Moaries and other mixed reef fish. We worked hard for what we caught but the highlight was the week in general and looking forward to next year to do it again.

Quick report from Reeboot.

Kicked off early met up with the other house inmates, just outside brissy, you just never know who you might meet at the servo..

Caught up with a bunch of Ausfishers at the pub night and Meet and Greet, good fun had by all..

The boys from Almako were just round the corner and stopped past for a chat.

Had a chance to drop round to see Haydens handy work, (nice bit of work there Hayden).

Few photos from the trip.

Ready To roll;

Weather for the first few days looked ordinary, weather man was right, so got a bit of first night fever happening, then a few more days of first night fever, before we could get out wide;

so spent a few lazy arvo's, having a beer and taking in the water views from the veranda..

We got out crabbing up the creeks most days when the weather was bad, got lots of undersize bucks and quite a few jennies, each pot averaging 4 or so crabs, also picked up 3 cod in the pots, plus one on the troll.

Weather was still crappy so went for a spin up to middle creek for, nice place..

The weather finally decided to give us a break, so we headed out for a Mack session, then off for some bottom bashing, successful day. We dropped a few as well.

We had a shot to head out wide so took advantage of the good weather.

Unfortunately had to deal with a water pump issue on the last day, bearing collapsed, 2 days after arriving so a bit of luck that we were not travelling when that occurred.

Was good to put some faces to names and catch up with a few guys haven't seen in a while.

Even though the weather gods, didn't play nice, a great week was had by all.

Regards
    Honda.

Was there ocean views? You would never have known! It was a very multicultural view!

Yes, there were multiple distractions, lets not forget the feng shui Driveway.

Regards
    Honda.

After sitting on the side lines watching the annual Agnes meet & greet banter for the past few years I decided it was time to join in this year and I’m very glad I did! I had a cracking good time, so if you are watching and wondering if you should join in next year, I would certainly encourage you to do so!

Before getting to the fishing report, a couple of shout outs and thanks are in order.
    Julian, cheers for organising the house and good to meet you bud, thoroughly enjoyed your company and thanks for the trip out on the 555, conditions not ideal but it was good to get out on the water and sort out that cabin fever, I look forward to catching up for a fish locally one day.
    Trevor and “Lungs”, good housemates make all the difference fella’s, great to meet you and look forward to keeping in touch and catching up again in the not too distant future.

All the blokes involved in organising and putting on the feed at the “Cook off”, a fun day with plenty of entertainment thrown in for good measure, also Team C for hosting the end of week round up.

And all the other friendly fisher people I met during the week…..cheers!

FISHING

I was fortunate enough to join Paramaster72 (Clayton) on his boat “R-Sea” for a couple of great days out on the reef along with #1 decky Shane. “R-Sea” is an absolute cracking boat (Striper), very well set up for a few days fishing out wide. The boys rocked into town early hours Wednesday keen to make the most of the break in the weather, I was ready and awaiting their arrival, well that was certainly the plan but in reality it was a mad scramble to get my sh%t together at 5a.m. after a good solid two hours sleep, but we were on the water by 6 which was good enough as we needed daylight to navigate the unfamiliar 1770 water way.

We made our way out to the bait grounds and spent a couple of hours loading up on yakka’s for the live tank before heading out to Fitzroy. We had a bit of a fish and Shane put the first fish in the box but it was a bit hit and miss so the boys decided to go for a spear. We pulled in close and while the boys went for a spear I was going to square away the cabin which was a bit chaotic from the quick 5a.m. load, thought I may as well chuck out a line and set the clicker and started a bit of a clean up when the reel went off for an OK RTE, my first fish for the box. Rebaited and put the rod in the holder and only a few seconds later it’s off again, this time without much of a fight and up comes a nice coral trout. I put another two trout and one more RTE in the box before the boys got back from spearing bringing with them more trout and some nice parrot, so Team “R-Sea” is off to a good start.

After some lunch we decided to head wider in search of, well hopefully Reds. The fishing was a bit slow but we were adding the odd fish to the esky, Shane was having a good strike rate using prawns. We found a nice bit of structure holding some fish and thought we would anchor up and fish the structure during the night, we were a few clicks east of Fitzroy. After dinner we dropped a few lines over but the current was just ripping through and eventually it got on my tits so I headed off to the bunk and said to the other blokes wake me if it improves, it wasn’t long before they gave it away as well. The conditions didn’t improve and fishing through the night was unproductive except Clayton did put a nice Spangly into the box and caught a Leopard shark which was released but that was pretty much it.

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	110981
    Waking up to good conditions on Thursday the decision was made to push wide in search of some new ground. After a while we came across a small show, there was no structure but still thought it looked worth dropping on, Clayton sorted out the drift line and gave us the yell to drop our lines, straight away Shane is hooked onto something solid, a few seconds later I’m on too for a double hook up and after quite some battle both Shane and I pull up a solid fish each (Goldband and a Rosy?), we tried drifting the line again a few times but they went off the bite quickly. With current and wind playing a bit if havoc Clayton put in the extra effort to get us deckies onto the fish even though it meant the skipper didn't get to drop a line himself, catching that fish was the highlight of the trip for me, cheers bud!

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	110979

We sounded around some more and dropped on a show to find a patch of Maori Cod in about 90M which seemed kind of odd but welcomed all the same.

We headed back to Fitzroy with the intention of staying in the lagoon for a more comfortable night, but with no one else there we checked the weather forecast and sure enough it was looking pretty crappy for the morning. Clayton went for a dive and added a couple more to the box before we headed back to 1770 at a great rate of knots to try and be back before dark. The entrance was bloody difficult to navigate due to the shallow bar and lack of bouy lights but we eventually made it back and headed back to the house for some coldies and hot showers.

We were able to put together a decent box of fish, 7 Trout, 3 Maori Cod, 5 Parrot / Tuskies, 4 Spanglies, 4 RTE’s, 1 Goldband, 1 x Jobfish or Goldband?, a black spotted cod and a couple of others, no Reds this time but it was a great trip, thanks Clayton, very much appreciated.

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	110980

If you get a chance to go out on R-Sea jump at it, Clayton’s a top bloke and very patient too (I did eventually get the hang of the parachute anchor ). Shane, great to fish with you and hope to again sometime.

Cheers
    Brent

That's a nice bag of fish in the end.
    Both those fish you are holding up in the boat are Gold Band, I cannot see a Rosy there

The 2015 Ausfish Agnes Water / 1770 M& G has been run and won.

WoW….. How good was it to meet all the newbies and catch up with the old ferrets ?

OK, so I got there a couple of weeks earlier than most as did Jarrah Jack and co. We had some great weather and even the actual week of the M & G saw a couple of good days and those that braved the elements were duly rewarded. I talked to just about everyone about their time there and all seemed very happy. Yes, we’d all like to get that huge Red etc, but the general consensus was “ a successful trip “.

A big thanks to Chong for his efforts in the organisational side of things. A shout out to Roz ( and hubby Tony ) for letting me stay at Sunlover for 3 weeks. So many people contributed in their own way from sharing houses, having deckies on board, sharing information, medical assistance L, help with the Cook-Off and Round-up.

I also appreciate the fact we had so many folks travel long distances to be here. Victoria, Coffs Harbour, Wandoan.. ( where-ever that is ), Yeppoon, Rocky, Mackay and other places. We had a few members turn up early with their respective families for a few days which was great to see.

First event of the week was “ Tavern Night “, with about 50 people turning up to quench their thirst and suppress their appetite . I left early enough to catch the footy, but many stayed on to make sure the Tavern staff were never idle.

The Cook-Off event was held at the Surf Club on Saturday afternoon due to windy conditions keeping us off the water. Team C duo ( Wardy and KFC ) produced the winning “ sauce “ and Cods Whallup running a close second. The kids nailed the casting competition and some “ banana looking ferrets “ nailed the Chivas Regal in record time…. Oh dear !!!!! Our ole mate Black Rats hit the deck after losing his balance and this is where Kev and Margie stepped in to provide great care. He’s all good now, except for some abrasions to the melon.

New-comer to my crew Dani, helped out not only at the Cook-Off but at the after-party at Team C’s “ House of Joy & Destruction “. This is where a special mention goes out to Green C, Lee, from Foodworks Maryborough for his huge effort in supplying a bounty of products for us.

The first few days saw windy conditions so many opted for R & R events accompanied by Rum. For those they do not know, if you drink Rum before 10am, you are not an alcoholic, you are simply a “ Pirate “….. Seems Agnes Water had a Pirate convention happening. J.

The fishing reports started to filter in on Tuesday and Reds to 11 kgs, big Spanish and Spangled were the order of the day. Species like Mangrove Jack, Snapper, Blue Maori and Rosy Jobfish were filling eskies. The usual suspects like, RTE, Parrot, Hussar, Coral Trout and Maori Cod made their presence felt and appreciated. I am sure we’ll see plenty of photos here abouts over the coming days.

No incidents were reported and hence our VMR emergency fund was not used, but on the last day, it was donated to Josie from Marine Rescue Round Hill and she has passed on her thanks for the dutiful logging on and off during our stay.

A few folks even took the 4 x 4 trip to Middle creek for a Whiting session with mixed results, but I had a good lunch upon return… Bag out on Spanish Macks happened in the early part of the week, but with the wind direction change, they shut down. A quick round up is, very good burgers at the servo for $9.50, ice was $13.50 / 20kg bag and fuel was $1.29/ltr. One thing that stood out was the number of different baits used to catch the same species. No one bait could be said to better than the other. Mullet, Squid, Hussar, Yakka and even Whiting frames all produced Reds. The one thing worthy of a mention are “ Snapper Flasher Rigs “……. They seriously accounted for many species and some well in excess of what one would expect to catch or even boat, on this gear.

Friday 18th was “ round up “ event at the Weigh-In Station near Team C’s place with about 50 odd people turning up. Some beers and rums were put on for members and then a couple of trophies awarded. We don’t really think about these, we just want to fish. Bannana topped the Red with 11.050kgs, LP donged a 13.5 Spano, Cods Whallup a 13.2kg Cobia, Tangles had a 7.1kg Spangled, marvin a 4.8kg Reef Jack and many other good catches. This event lasted long after we expected and surprisingly some of Team C had not slept from the previous day and were still going hard when I departed well after sundown.

The people that attend this event make it what it is. The fishing is just a bonus.

Some events worth mentioning and those involved hopefully will explain.

1… Homeless Thong Person

2… Face Plant
    3… Broken Shoulder
    4… The Long Drift ( while at anchor ) !
    5.. Over the Fence
    6.. “ What’s her name and why won’t she go home “ ?
    7.. Now you see me, now you don’t, followed by “ My arse hurts “ !
    8.. The Double Shark Marathon
    9.. Oh, my bad, “ Give way to the right “….
    10.. Bacon, Bacon and Bacon…. Oh and Bacon
    11.. “ Did I just cough up a lung ? “
    12.. “ Why did we launch in that Northerly ? “
    13.. “ That’s the first time I’ve seen you sober “ !!!

Please acknowledge our sponsors for this event:-

Contemporary Pools Queensland
    Vincents Fabrication and Powdercoating
    Proudlock Air Conditioning
    Foodworks Maryborough
    Ray White Maryborough
    PE Tackle
    Reeltackle
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions

With further input from McDonalds, Dan Murphys, Red Rooster and " chong enterprizes ".....

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Soiunds like another amazing year Phil.
    Sadly I couldnt make it at the last minute as I had to rush to Albury to look after a very sick mother which kept me there for a month.
    Next year hopefully if all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    Was there ocean views? You would never have known! It was a very multicultural view!
    Yes there may have been views other than the ocean for all if someone would let everyone know..

I must say it was a good week to put some faces to names have a fish and a beer (or rum or gin or rum or rum, did I say rum?).

Had a great time Phill.
    Julian you organised a great house with stunning views and good company - thanks.
    Brent thanks for being patient with lungs - he was away from his counselling SWMBO and played havoc
    We went out Monday-Tuesday overnighter than again Wednesday-Thursday for a second overnighter and worked pretty hard for a feed.
    I reckon I lost one trophy fish each trip but did manage to pull 7 foot long sharks to the side of the boat - oh well.
    We were mainly 50 to 90m deep but had a bit of a look in the 200m zone
    The spangled went 75cm and the pearlie 65cm - we were happy with the tuskies and no matter how much I tried not to catch the hussar in an effort to get reds they kept swallowing the 10/0 circle hooks and came up in pairs.
    Enjoyed the trip - thanks to all.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	110982  
    Cheers

Trev

Hey Trev how did you go out in 200.Did you see any ground out there