Thread: Gold Coast off shore fishing.

Gold Coast off shore fishing.

Need some help, as my boat is nearing completion I turned my attention to my current fishing rods and reels and decided that since most are 5 to 10 years old I would shout myself a few new bits and pieces. As the sharkcat is capable of going further out then I have ventured before could someone tell me what sort of fish, sizes etc are out around the 36's and around that area so I can see what the best sort of rods are to buy, I have 2 Penn overheads that I am keeping and have just brought a Stella 8000 reel that will do to start. Not looking for anything over $450, most of my fishing will be bottom bashing, will try a few lures with the Stella and I'll probably be using 30 - 50 lb braid depending on the reel.

Thankyou for any information you can provide.

Re: Gold Coast off shore fishing.

Pretty sure that the only fishing you will be doing on the 36s from about November to April/May will be trolling. Too much current to bottom bash in Summer. Better get yourself some tiagras

So many horses for courses, PM me with your mobile no.

Jakers you inbox is full, mobile number is 0400712406, Thanks Doug

Bottom bashing is a good way to catch the little ones. Do yourself a favour and learn how to float line for snapper. It'll get you on to much more and better quality fish.

Got any links to good information about float lining for snapper

Youtube found the following-- Interesting setup with the treble and slider hook..

What hook setups work best with floatlining?

I use a 2x5/0 hook gang with a running 4 ball above the hooks. Sinker size varies with current, the lighter the better. Very basic but effective, just keep feeding line out until the fish starts taking line. The good charter companies use this method so you could always do a charter, learn their method and style of fishing then apply it to your style of fishing. Try Fish the Deep off the Goldy or Outlaw Charters from Manly.

yeah, bugger anchoring up at the 36's unless you have a winch. Find the fish then work out the drift on your gps so you go over them and float a bait down with a small sinker... you will have to put the boat in reverse every now and again to keep your line straight down..You dont need heavy gear off the goldy to the 36's really.. you only do really if you are going over the shelf heavy tackle fishing for blue marlin.. 2 TLD 25's with 10kg or 15kg tops will be well and truely enough even for the run of small black marlin in Dec/Jan
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!