Thread: Etec 90 HO trim won't stay up

Etec 90 HO trim won't stay up

Hi all. Anyone had their etec motor not staying up after trimming up, have 90 HO but noticed on the trim gauge under speed the motor lowers back to 2%!. Once home I trimmed the motor right up in the driveway but after around 30 minutes it had noticeably dropped back down.
    the motor has now done around 15 hours and would presume would be under warranty.
    Also if under warranty am I able to have a an approved Etec dealer complete the work without any costs to myself as have moved home and the dealer I purchased boat/motor new is 2 hours away whereas there is a local dealer 15 mins away?
    cheers

Re: Etec 90 HO trim won't stay up

G'day mate, same thing happened with my 2012 90hp ETEC. Mentioned it when I had it in at Downes Marine for its first service at 12 mths ( the 3yr no service doesn't apply if used in salt water) and when I came to pick it up there was a brand new tilt and trim installed under warranty no cost to me. Haven't had an issue since. Never been back to the dealer after delivery.

First check that the trim manual bypass valve screw is done up tight. Not sure where it is on an E-TEC but it is normally on the STB side, near bottom corner of transom bracket. Will need a large flat blade screw driver. If not sure pull your manual out, it will tell you.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Port side ^^^^^^^^

and yes any Etec dealer can do the warranty for you
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

And yes, it seems to be a frequent problem with the etecs. Take it to nearest dealer for replacement of PtT unit.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....