Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Call for Net-Free zones for Moreton Bay

Re: Call for Net-Free zones for Moreton Bay

This is a very curious situation Mark.

On one hand we have you, the LNP Member for Cleveland pushing for a Moreton Bay NFZ. Yet on the other, we have the Qld LNP looking like they will move for a disallowance motion in parliament to prevent net free zones from happening at all which must then prevent a Moreton Bay NFZ from happening.

What on earth is going on with your mob? Does the left hand know what the right is doing, or is this a Tony Abbot/Campbell Newman style 'tactic' of win at all cost?

Be assured - recreational fishers will not forgive any politician/party that prevents net free zones from happening and we will campaign strongly leading up to next election against the LNP if your mob does prevent NFZs.

Lindsay Dines

"What on earth is going on with your mob? Does the left hand know what the right is doing, or is this a Tony Abbot/Campbell Newman style 'tactic' of win at all cost?"
    We know what the right hand is doing

Maybe a job for Tony stopping the net boats.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    "What on earth is going on with your mob? Does the left hand know what the right is doing, or is this a Tony Abbot/Campbell Newman style 'tactic' of win at all cost?"
    We know what the right hand is doing

Maybe a job for Tony stopping the net boats.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Once again a lack of answers from this member makes me laugh after coming on here and putting up a post with supposed good intentions but he won't talk to us, I guess it's no different to before when he had his mate TIMMY gas bagging on justifying everything that MP mark posted ,weak as if you ask me , Gutless is another word that comes to mind for the minister for nothing ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I gather that Mark no longer supports a Moreton Bay NFZ, but may find it difficult to let us know given the condition of his knuckles.

What is now clear however, is that the LNP have abandoned recreational fishers altogether on a state wide basis. This could probably have been said of when they were in government, but there is no question about that now.

What is most bizarre (of the several) about their opposition to NFZs is that they claim that the compensation package to displaced commercial fishers is insufficient. This, despite their own compensation package to fishers when in government during the net buy back scheme being less per fisher.

Further bizarreness in their claim, and tabling of a petition that states that NFZs will deny Queenslanders access to fresh locally caught seafood. There is no evidence that there would even be a reduction in supply and we have a number of net free areas around Australia to cite as examples of there being no reduction.

Then there is this - because there should be no reduction in the quantity of fresh fish supply and there are less licences supplying, then it is clear that individual fishers will make more money. This is supported by catch and effort data in the region of existing NFZs where the average catch per fisher per day climbs steadily after implementation of the NFZs. So in effect, the LNP are denying the very people they are supposed to be helping from improving their income and undermining the long term viability of their business. Indeed, without NFZs, some fisheries could collapse and how would commercial fishers be placed then?

That said, I believe that Mark does want NFZs implemented in Qld, but has now to tow the party line against his better judgement. I believe the same of Glen Elmes at Noosa who has supported a Cooloola NFZ for many years. I met Mark when he was Shadow Fisheries Minister and I was impressed by his intelligence and thought processes. I was hugely disappointed when Newman replaced him with McVeigh who wasn't worth a pinch of shalt to recreational fishing or marine conservation.

How much of the inshore fish catch is exported? Reduce that and the locals need not be denied fresh seafood.

I don't necessarily deny commercial fishers their right to an income, but it pisses me off me that fish is exported in preference to me and family being able to catch it.

Mark,
    I just checked your link..........
    Are we supposed to vote on something or is this political grand standing?
    Just asking as I can't see anywhere that provides us the ability to provide our thoughts.

Must an election in the wind???????????

Hit & Run ?????
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    link doesn't work , what makes you the person we should be discussing this or any other issue with after your last episode when your government was in power you couldn't discuss anything or wouldn't give straight answers . what has changed , thanks matt
    Matt. You don't have to talk to me at all if you don't wish. I certainly didnt get everything i went to bat for, but did get boat ramps (new & upgrade), floating walkways & arti reefs for Bayside Brisbane/Moreton Bay. Still fighting for other things. The next battle is for some carefully planned NFZs in Moreton Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    Why didn't you do this while in government Mark? Not on Little Hitler's radar back then hey?
    The LNP Govt focussed on Voluntary Net buybacks - $9 mill of net buybacks was the commitment. As Shadow Fisheries Minister that was my policy. Upon forming Govt is was implemented by the Fisheries minister.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonus View Post
    I am all for no net fishing zones around Moreton Bay. Particularly on Moreton Island where the benefits of tourism greatly outweigh the benefits of commercial net fishing. It was a pitty that there was not enough support when we had the petition against net fishing going.
    Bonus. See reply #23 & 24.
    Mark

[QUOTE=bluefin59;1599296]“Unfortunately, the Labor Government’s approach to rolling out similar zones in Central and North Queensland has not been well-handled and has upset many people. I call on the Government to consider Moreton Bay but to handle it better.

This is a quote from your own site that you managed to fix the link to , unfortunately your not responsible or a representative of the fishing population but do tell how YOU will do it better ? I await your response and an answer as to how YOU will do anything worthwhile that is any better than what LABOR are actually doing ,maybe SCOTTO can weigh in on this discussion as well . Matt
    [/QUOTE
    Matt. More time for consultation to start with.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    This is a very curious situation Mark.

On one hand we have you, the LNP Member for Cleveland pushing for a Moreton Bay NFZ. Yet on the other, we have the Qld LNP looking like they will move for a disallowance motion in parliament to prevent net free zones from happening at all which must then prevent a Moreton Bay NFZ from happening.

What on earth is going on with your mob? Does the left hand know what the right is doing, or is this a Tony Abbot/Campbell Newman style 'tactic' of win at all cost?

Be assured - recreational fishers will not forgive any politician/party that prevents net free zones from happening and we will campaign strongly leading up to next election against the LNP if your mob does prevent NFZs.

Lindsay Dines
    Hi Lindsay. My support for NFZs (ROFAs, Havens) in Moreton Bay has been on the record for the 6 years I have been an MP. I haven't shrunk back from that. These days I only speak for my electorate - Cleveland - or the waters of Moreton Bay. I have given my support for a careful plan for Moreton Bay. Sunfish's Moreton Island proposal is a good start, though exact boundaries could vary.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    These days I only speak for my electorate - Cleveland - or the waters of Moreton Bay.
    Mark
    I'm probably a little more interested in how you vote on the floor of Parliament than how you speak Mark.
    I have no doubt at all you'd love to see Net Free Zones in many parts of Qld, but if it gets to a vote, will you support recreational anglers and cross the floor if necessary to vote for Net Free Zones? Or will you follow orders and vote against them?
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I'm probably a little more interested in how you vote on the floor of Parliament than how you speak Mark.
    I have no doubt at all you'd love to see Net Free Zones in many parts of Qld, but if it gets to a vote, will you support recreational anglers and cross the floor if necessary to vote for Net Free Zones? Or will you follow orders and vote against them?
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

But Mark, what is the point in talking about Moreton Bay or Moreton Island at all when your party is hell bent on stopping the damn things? It is nuts!
    Not only is that nuts, but your party are trying to stop NFZs because of trivialities that don't even hold water. There is simply no sane or evidence supported argument that the LNP can, have or will put forward that can possibly justify the exercise other than to oppose for opposition's sake.
    But I forget - that's the LNP way.