Thread: Soft plastic fishing for Flathead on a beach

Soft plastic fishing for Flathead on a beach

Hey guys, so i'm still learning on how to catch fish with lures, so my question is, what would be the best way to catch flatheads with soft plastics on a beach?

The other day i tried catching flatheads at bright-le-sands beach, but it was high tide and i had no luck, not too sure where to chuck the lure out. I was going to go on low tide, but it was too late in the day, if it was low tide, i was going to walk out onto the sandbar and cast out in the drop off, is that a good way? if anyone has fished at brighton-le-sands or somewhere similar could you help out an amateur angler?

or if there are any other good land based spots in Sydney i could try, that would also be helpful

Thanks, Justin.

Re: Soft plastic fishing for Flathead on a beach

I don't know the area but Flatties love drains and drop offs. Find yourself a decent gutter and work the edges!

So it would be ideal at low tide so I can get really close to the drop off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyRawrs View Post
    So it would be ideal at low tide so I can get really close to the drop off?

Also, the bait is concentrated in these areas, the flathead will be here looking for a feed.

Blog Entries

Low tide is best

Look for water draining away into deeper water. The flattys will sit with their heads into the current

It is best to cast up current and work you placcy back with the current

Use the search function in here to look for tips and tricks. Search for posts from blokes like Mullet Musketeer and Flatzie. They have heaps of good reports that contain tips and tricks.

Also I would think that Brighton Le Sands may be a tough gig to score decent numbers of flathead. See if you can research a more isolated piece of water.

Good luck with it!!!

Thanks for the tips guys

And i'll have a look at some of those guys posts that you mentioned thanks!

Hit the local tackle shop they'll probably be able to tell you whats working and a rough idea of where to find them

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Low tide is best

Look for water draining away into deeper water. The flattys will sit with their heads into the current

It is best to cast up current and work you placcy back with the current

Use the search function in here to look for tips and tricks. Search for posts from blokes like Mullet Musketeer and Flatzie. They have heaps of good reports that contain tips and tricks.

Also I would think that Brighton Le Sands may be a tough gig to score decent numbers of flathead. See if you can research a more isolated piece of water.

Good luck with it!!!
    I went again today, but on low tide! Caught 7 flatties in 2 hours, two were legal, but I let them all go! I had a blast! Because I was fishing in the sand bar, I saw one of the flatties come from the bottom and ingulf the plastic! My god it's fun watching them come up to the plastics and taking them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyRawrs View Post
    I went again today, but on low tide! Caught 7 flatties in 2 hours, two were legal, but I let them all go! I had a blast! Because I was fishing in the sand bar, I saw one of the flatties come from the bottom and ingulf the plastic! My god it's fun watching them come up to the plastics and taking them!

Good stuff Juzzy!! At BLS? Keep an eye on the tides and try poppers over the same spots at low tide on sunrise mate.... thats even more fun, seeing them smash them on surface lures.

Keep up the good work!!!