Thread: Haines Hunter 600R - Floor/Stringer rebuild

Haines Hunter 600R - Floor/Stringer rebuild

Looking to replace the flooring and stringers as totally rotten within a 1979/1980 Haines Hunter 600R. Also required is new seats, windscreen and gel coat repaired where I have hit things. I have owned it for 10 years and have never located a builders plate. Located on the central Gold Coast and have several contacts already, though I'm chasing further boat builders/repairers who would be suitable for the job and in the first instance to provide a quote. I have been told of a retired boat builder/repairer by the name of Trevor ...... who used to work on the Shangri-La Cruises boats though have not been able to track down a phone number. Looking for this chap or someone who does this type of work for a living rather than a hobby and can be accountable for their work. Have been told a figure of roughly 5k. I am a novice is this area so any other things that you believe need doing for a boat of this age would be appreciated. Relatively poor photos attached though it is in poor condition internally. Plan on keeping the cuddy cabin format though everything else will be ripped out(fuel tank still suitable). Possibly need repowering as the 1994 Mercury Black Max is getting a bit long in the tooth though the new 4 strokes are a bit heavy, however the new Yamaha 200 appears to weigh only 225kg though won't go further on this as I know there a numerous recent threads on the motor/weight topic. Cheers in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Haines Hunter 600R - Floor/Stringer rebuild

go to arnolds, won't be cheap but will be a good job

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    go to arnolds, won't be cheap but will be a good job
    Probably expect a ridiculous quote from Arnold and poorer quality than he used to produce.

Have a serious think about what you think the boat will be worth after the work and the cost of the work. The only way youll come out of it for 5 k is knowing someone or doing it yourself. Consider selling it and buying something thats been done already. You will be miles in front.

Thanks for the feedback, will give them a call. Problem with getting another boat is that I'm familiar with the current ride and very few boats cut like the old HH. Unless I could find another one of course. Will pay double for a good job, though good help is like finding a needle in a hay stack within the marine industry. I know first hand on multiple occasions I'm afraid. Apologies to those on the site who are reputable in their marine related trade and are honest though you are within a minority group.

PM sent.............

Thanks Chimo. The old girl is looking forward to its B'day. Possibly a name change too. Some wally named it Playboy back in the day with the bunny logo next to it. Would not be surprised if the coast guard refused to pick me up if I ever got stuck out at sea. They would see the name and all I would see is their boat about face and head for home. Naming a boat 'Playboy' in 1979/80 would of offended a few people I would of thought. Had the original clarion tape player in it when I purchased it.

Change it to PlayBuoy

If you are on Facebook, check out Old school Haines Hunters. These guys do some crazy stuff with old Haines boats that others wouldn't dream of.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Blog Entries

Recently (last 8 months) been helping my brother rebuild new floor and transom in 565 F and other mods weigh it all up before you start this is a big job we didnt replace stringers only small part in back the hours that have gone into this rebuild just run away would not do this again Try contacting Micheal Hollaway Gold Coast if he still is in business he used to do this all the time Cheers Rod