Thread: How do you rig your X-Rap 30

How do you rig your X-Rap 30

G'day guys just wondering how you rig your X-Rap 30's when targeting Mackerel, Wahoo, Mahi mahi etc.

I have previously used wire (haywire twist) directly onto the split ring but am considering adding in a swivel and changing to 150/200 pound leader with a crimp.

Your proven ways would be greatly appreciated..

Re: How do you rig your X-Rap 30

mate that is way to heavey a leader in my opinion...
    i rig mine with 80lb fluro leader connected to a swivel-split ring-then a snapp and connect that to the lure it gives aroud 2 inches of distance from the lure and it works a treat and I seem to get alot more bites when they are shy.you might loose a lure or 2 but then you get to buy more.

the leader does not need to be huge as it will affect the way the lure swims same as aything you attatch but i find this normally gives me enough protection just keep diving a little after the first hookup.... i was driving through schools of them last week with this setup 4 lures out the back and lost 1 lure and landed 6 fish... 1 lure for 6 8kg fish is ok for me
    cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Shogun black wire traces - 80lb..

Get about 5 packs of 6 traces for the price of 1 lure!

Cheap insurance and the fish still eat what's attached to them without any hesitation

I normally run about 30-40cm of about 50lb single strand on mine and they seem to get hit pretty often. I was always a mono leader guy, but since switching to wire, can't really report any dropoff in strikes. Btw, love the Xraps!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

I'm the same as FisHard. I run Mason single strand wire 44 lbs about 40 cm and the fish aren't really shy, not the Spanish anyway. I don't want to run any lighter wire for cut off reasons. When I get a toothy critter I change my trace.
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtoooth View Post
    I'm the same as FisHard.
    Theres no way you're like me Dogtooth, I'm UNIQUE !!

There are times when wire fishes OK, but there are definitely times when it doesn't, especially in heavily fished areas. I run 80 pound mono crimped to a quality snap swivel, I don't think it really matters how heavy the mono is though, 20 pound or 150, they will still bite you off. For me personally, I would prefer to at least get the strike with mono and run the risk of a bite off, rather than trolling for nothing, wondering the whole time if the wire is putting them off....
    As the others have mentioned, single strand is the pick of the wire, if that is your preference.
    The XRap30 is my first choice every time, its just a matter of picking a few up periodically when they are 20% off, doesn't make them much more expensive than anything else.

Scott.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I rig all my mack lures crimped on 150lb mono. Can't remember the last time I had a bite-off.

Just saw the XRap40 has been released, can't wait to give them a try.

Whats peoples colour preference for there xraps?

Last 1770 trip, red sardine was the standout performer. So, of course I went to the ends of the earth to track down some "spares". A trip off Airlie a few weeks later and I couldn't buy a vote on the red sardine Xrap!

Take all advise with a grain of salt and good will.. more than half these fish xraps + a couple on halcos, on multi strand wire 60lb..

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Last 1770 trip, red sardine was the standout performer. So, of course I went to the ends of the earth to track down some "spares". A trip off Airlie a few weeks later and I couldn't buy a vote on the red sardine Xrap!
    Thats always a issue, makes it more challenging(annoying).