Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gliss fishing line set to replace braid?

Gliss fishing line set to replace braid?

Hi fishos, does anyone know when the new gliss type fishing lines are due to hit the stores in Australia? Apparently this supple line has the appearance of mono but with three times less stretch and a better strength to diameter ratio than braid! Sounds like pretty good gear, can't wait to try it.

Re: Gliss fishing line set to replace braid?

The cost of this new line will be interesting. When braid came out it was dear

ken

Too right ken, braid can still be quite expensive for the every day weekend worrier. Perhaps the introduction of this new technology will reduce the price of braid even further and get more people out there fishing light and having more success.

Its funny, I am using mono more and more. A few years ago I only used braid and now its 50/50. The new stuff will be interesting
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

A valid point Horse, mono definitely has it's place and I think it always will. It's pretty hard to handline with braid!

A mate got some from the US. He's very impressed so far.

hmmmmm has any checked the facts yet?

here's a dia compo a mate in US sent me, he's a muskie guide so line is his living

0.010 has a 4kg breaking point...that would be 8.8lbs.
    30lb power pro is 0.011
    10lb tatsu is 0.010
    30lb smackdown is 0.009
    10lb sniper is 0.0102

also appears it will ONLY be in hot pink to start with

From all reports I'm getting, it's just more marketing hype!

myself, braid or hybrid fluro 1st for dia, 2nd for breaking strain well above it's class.

I don't know where your mates getting his
    measurements from but nothing comes close to the states 4kg /.01mm of gliss - http://www.paulus justfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

Maybe he is comparing imperial measurements to Gliss metric?

Will be interesting to see its abrasion resistance and considering they have publicly stated is a hell of a lot easier and quicker to produce than braid, how they price it...

"The potential for Gliss is further boosted by the fact that it can be produced far more quickly and cheaply than braid. Dibisch estimated that it takes around 100 hours to produce 1,000 metres of braid, depending on the type. But he can manufacture the same length of Gliss in a matter of minutes."
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Just read that the .01mm was a misprint in the first article from them and the 4kg is closer to 0.1mm.

And just had a look and your mates measurements are in inches.. I've added the metric size off the manufacturers info -

30lb power pro is 0.011 (.280mm)
    10lb tatsu is 0.010 (.260mm)
    30lb smackdown is 0.009 (.235mm)
    10lb sniper is 0.0102 (.260mm)

Gliss -
    4kg - 0.100mm
    6kg - .120mm
    8kg - .140mm
    11kg - .180mm
    19kg - .250mm

Quote Originally Posted by Fishar View Post
    also appears it will ONLY be in hot pink to start with
    Catalogue shows pink, green, yellow and translucent -
    Pg 96 onwards - http://www.bluecreator.biz/cat,WFT_2015_consumer_EN

Their KG strong braid looks good on paper.. Plenty of other braids in their catalogue that are thinner and stronger, I'm guessing that little accidental typo of 0.01 instead of 0.1 has gotten them alot of extra publicity.

So from the thread title i'd say it may replace mono on some reels but not much braid.

Did your contacts say what they are paying for this new line?

No, but I'll send him an email and ask and get back to the post

I find that by using mono with a fluorocarbon leader I catch more whiting and bream than I do using braid?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    I find that by using mono with a fluorocarbon leader I catch more whiting and bream than I do using braid?

Ken
    Potentially because braid is not translucent and does not have any give. So you could be scaring away bream and ripping hooks from whiting mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Its funny, I am using mono more and more. A few years ago I only used braid and now its 50/50. The new stuff will be interesting
    Yep, me too, but I would be near on 90 percent mono now, it just kind of happened over time.