Thread: Fish id

Fish id

A mate of mine caught this recently,couldn't find it in grants any help would be appreciated

Re: Fish id

I'm calling Krasyukova's perch

I really struggle with people taking fish that they cannot identify and therefore have no idea of size and bag limits that may be applicable, let alone if it is edible or noxious!

If you cannot identify it at the time, release it and educate yourself for next time!

I couldn't agree more,it was not me and don't worry my mate has coped it for his actions.he did say it came up from 120m and was in no condition to go back.hasn't been eaten and yes some education would be good

I was waiting for that

Auslecture

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Sunrise Perch. Get the odd one at Deep Tempest. Bloody good chewing. Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Auslecture
    Hardly a lecture..

But if it was me would prefer to learn this way than the other way which is the hard way!

2 auslectures

Everyone is always on about all the poisonous fish, let's see (with the exception of Toads) how many fish are actually poisonous to eat.

Thanks for the info bigjimg. I agree with not taking fish you can't I'd but more for not knowing legal size or eating quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Everyone is always on about all the poisonous fish, let's see (with the exception of Toads) how many fish are actually poisonous to eat.
    How many can have ciguatera?

And over 1200 venomous fish listed on wiki... How many are in our waters or dangerous when eaten I do not know...

I think the main point with is not really that they may be poisonous but whether it's a
    A. protected or no take species
    B. legal size
    C. edible (either poisonous or its table quality is not even worth giving to your mother in law)
    D. posting the image of a "possible" illegal fish on a public forum that fisheries departments regularly visit

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/58199520.jpg
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

So if the fish is dead,is there a problem with taking a photo of it to find out what it is?to educate yourself and others.maybe if it bothers some people that much they shouldn't open fish I'd threads.