Thread: Simrad Autopilot AP24

Simrad Autopilot AP24

I have a Simrad AP24 Autopilot on my twin engine Cat and would like to contact anyone that has this particular Autopilot so we can discuss performance, settings etc.

Adrian

Re: Simrad Autopilot AP24

Hi Adrian,
    I have just started looking for one for my 23 catamaran that I build a couple years ago now. How are you getting on with yours?
    Steve
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

Hi Steve,

If you look on "The Hull Truth" website in the marine electronics section you will see my thread "Simrad AP24 XTE" which will give you some idea of my experience with the AP24.

I think it is slowly getting better and last time i was out i had it tracking a lot better but there are quite a few settings to fiddle with to get it nailed. Mine is VRF without the rudder feedback unit.

What I'm after is someone with this same autopilot on a twin engine cat to compare results of the autotune settings.

Adrian

Can't remember the model but a few years ago looked at a Simrad pilot on a Cruisecraft 685. Ultimately the fix was to fit a rudder feedback unit. Their VRF software would steer the boat ok on a heading but engaging GPS and the subsequent turn to bring the vessel on course would make it throw a wobbly. It would take time to settle on the new heading - crossing the heading in decreasing amplitude amounts until it eventually settled. Once the feedback was fitted it was a different animal. Unfortunately, the Simrad rotary feedback units don't like water a real lot so we had to fit the linear unit which is somewhat pricey.

Pump size can also cause issues if there is high load, like on a cat.
    I have a rudder feedback unit on the shelf if you get to the stage you want to try it.
    I bought it when I put the AP24 in my 800 Patriot, but found I didn't need it.
    cheers
    Pete

Old thread i know but megatop how did you end up going with the auto pilot on the simrad.? I just fitted one to my 660 NC yesterday, Havn't water tested it yet but after doing some reading i might have to get a rudder sensor. Will know after a few hrs on the water soon i spose.

Quote Originally Posted by feral cat View Post
    Old thread i know but megatop how did you end up going with the auto pilot on the simrad.? I just fitted one to my 660 NC yesterday, Havn't water tested it yet but after doing some reading i might have to get a rudder sensor. Will know after a few hrs on the water soon i spose.
    Mine is tracking really well now. It took a few calibration attempts in really calm water to get it right. Probably would be better with a RFU but i am more than happy with the performance and i don't think i can justify spending the money for an RFU let alone the problems with fitting etc.

Last week i traveled from east of Sykes back to 1770 and i never had to touch it once.

If you like give me a call on 0419 793119 and we can discuss further.

Thanks for the number, i will water test soon and put it through its paces and possibly give you a bell this weekend.
    Cheers