Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Almost there!!!!

Re: Almost there!!!!

Ok I have filleted the cod and was very surprised at how nice the flesh was and very little blood even though we didn't bleed the fish. Cook some up tonight and was very nice and mild flavour. I will share some around with family and friends and see what the think. Interested in hearing what others think of them and how they prepared them.

Gav

Have just finished filleting and bagging - pretty sure I've just about worn out the cryovac unit . The cod certainly looks the goods as you said - the stuff is flaking even prior to cooking.

Why all the slime B1? Is it a depth thing? Why worry about the slime if your skinning the fillets anyway? Interesting part of the process!

Quote Originally Posted by Cods Whallup View Post
    Why all the slime B1? Is it a depth thing? Why worry about the slime if your skinning the fillets anyway? Interesting part of the process!
    I think B1 might be filleting this morning with the butler. When I filleted mine you had to try and not fillet to close to the skin because there was a fatty/greasy gelatinous type layer between the flesh and skin. I think this may have been where the slime was coming from but really have no idea for sure. There was a bigger area of this substance around the dorsal and anul fins. I'm sure B1 will find the answers to all for us

Almost there!!!!

Very well done Keith and crew, some awesome fish there! Good to see you aren't talking about donuts any more either Keith - and that the big girl is making you smile more thanks to Scotty.

Just got back to Agnes last night from an overnighter at Fitz, fished up to One Tree but it was hard work. The fish at the usual productive spots weren't there like they usually are, and those that were had lockjaw. No legal reds but put together an ok bag incl some nice pearlies.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendon,

yeah its been hard up there of late mate. I've heard of some quality fish getting caught here and there but no big numbers.. Can't complain about a box of pearlies and mixed reef...

are you going to the M&G??

Nah mate, been up with PBA Club this week & heading home this weekend, so will miss this one. Some of the Ausfish boys are already up here, heard Rebait out on Tues too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hookinin View Post
    I think B1 might be filleting this morning with the butler. When I filleted mine you had to try and not fillet to close to the skin because there was a fatty/greasy gelatinous type layer between the flesh and skin. I think this may have been where the slime was coming from but really have no idea for sure. There was a bigger area of this substance around the dorsal and anul fins. I'm sure B1 will find the answers to all for us
    Well done guys,sounds like a great trip....Gav I think the slime around the anus could be spoof!

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    Well done guys,sounds like a great trip....Gav I think the slime around the anus could be spoof!

it may not be the fishes either ...... just saying
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010538.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	110744
    Quote Originally Posted by outta line View Post
    it may not be the fishes either ...... just saying
    Well Cameron Diaz could certainly use it as hair gel

Had some bar cod last night and definatley better than other cods including moari cod IMO....

Quote Originally Posted by hookinin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010538.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	110744

Well Cameron Diaz could certainly use it as hair gel
    Quite a load there Gav

The cod are very slimey but skin nicely. I have tried cooking them numerous ways but the best by far for me is to simply dust them in flour and shallow fry them in olive oil.

Good fishing there Keith well done.

Flames and rubys are a very pretty fish.

What I have done with the barcod which i highly recommend is boil down the frames for a fish stock - you can do the head separate and just keep the juice but the backbone and ribs boiled down then used to make a Thai green curry with the fish meat included - is to die for - an absolute favourite the flavour is better than the flesh :-)

Thanks for the post Keith - catch up soon.
    Cheers

Trev

Thanks for the " dribble " and report Keith.

It certainly can take a while to get a boat sorted and set up to the way you want and expect. Everything from electronics, deck washes, carpet, motor, rod holders , canopy, trim tabs, transducer, live bait tank and a host of other goodies including the trailer. No 2 boats are the same in fit out or handling and each boat requires the skipper to understand the idiosyncrasies and characteristics. Once you line up the planets it is a joy to fish from knowing all you have to do is launch and go !!! ><> ><>

Well done on your catch and good to see you have some good deckies on board. A deckie can make or break a fishing trip.

See you up here next week... when the weather plays the game

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

[QUOTE=bannana;1598400]I didn't realise that Mojo's were a dime a dozen...I thought you had down sized and I was disappointed we didn't catch up....I looked for you everywhere and just when i thought I found you it was an impostor....

Attachment 110715Attachment 110714

Nice Shirt Mate.... Lucky you've been layin off the pies