Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musgrave dash

Musgrave dash

I was heading up for a Friday to Sunday trip, but the weather was looking dodgy so I canned the trip, but the ole man said lets head up now. I pulled a few strings and headed off 2am Wednesday morning, to come back Friday!
    Got up there about 9am, fuelled up, iced up and headed out in very sloppy conditions which made for a long trip at 15 knots. We headed out to a mark East of musgrave, I found and fished for only one hour on the last trip. By 1pm we had landed. Our first 6kg red! Fished a bit more, hooked up again, now a double hook up a 7kg red and a 6kg blue spot cod. Awesome we are thinking as we had only landed 8 fish and three were rippers.
    Thought we would try another mark and on the way marked another spot, turned around, dropped down and another 8kg red and a horse of a tuski came to the esky!!! Off to the spot we were originally heading for and landed a couple more reef fish. Called it a day and headed into the lagoon for the night.
    woke up the next morning to the best conditions I have had up there and the fishing was on. Went for a jig and got a couple of small kings and a trevaly, ole man got a few more tuskis. Off to the first spot from yesterday and nothing for a couple of hours, moved again and found a new rock and dad was on to a big, big fish. Ended up being a a15.7kg red!!!
    so we fished this area for a while and I landed a 6kg gold banned snaps and the. Dad hooked what I can only think was a marlin as it peeled 300m of 50pound braid off a Daiwa saltiga ld40 with 12kgs drag set before I could wind in my bottom basher and the. "PING" leader knot braid snapped at the Bimini.
    getting very low on bait (squid) as this is all they were eating and picked up another red and while I was fighting it, ole man screamed "shit its jumping", turned around to find he hooked a small black marlin, what a morning!! Out of bait at 1pm, said we would ad back home. Dropped some lures int he water as we heAded home and landed 3 good eating size Spanish mackerel to top the esky off.
    pulled the pin at 3pm and headed in at 30knots on a perfect day to be greeted by the dpi at the ramp. Passed all checks and said biggest red he had seen for while which pleased dad. All in all an awesome trip and can't wait to go back.
    thanks for reading!!
    cheers Scott
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	110651Click image for larger version. 

Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	110650
    Click image for larger version. 

Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	110652Click image for larger version. 

Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	110652Click image for larger version. 

Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	110653Click image for larger version. 

Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	110654Click image for larger version. 

Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	110655Click image for larger version. 

Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	110656
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Musgrave dash

Sounds like you had one of the better trips. You got some cracker reds there, enjoyed the post and thanks for sharing. I'm going down to 1770 mid September, so hopefully we can have as good a trip as you did.

Fantastic report Scott!!

Tony

Great trip mate.

these are the trips that keep us going back.
    two weeks and I will be up there. Hopefully we get some of this weather for the M&G

cheers Rob

Awesome trip Scott, great fish and a great time!

Healthy looking freezer. I'm jealous!
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

We fished of there for a while today for bugger all so well done... That's a cracker of a red!!!!

Awesome!!!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys much appreciated.
    the DPI guys said that they had only seen a few reds all day and most people's catches were just legal size fish even the hussar we got were 35-40
    must be the northerly winds playing havoc with the catches
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Great report! Makes me wanna go NOW!!!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Well done on all fronts
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Bloody awesome. Well done mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Top report there, well done!

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Great report...
    My dream trip right there!

Good effort mate, can't wait to get up there one day. If your freezing that much fish you should invest in a cryovac. I got one off ebay no more freezer burn and keeps a lot fresher in the fridge/freezer.
    Nick