Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yearly Fraser Trip (with trip reports)

Re: Yearly Fraser Trip (with trip reports)

Hi Shay,

That vid is great.

How do you safely unhook the sharks? Also where do you gaff them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys_Mav View Post
    You guys don't get worried about ciguatera in those big spanos off fraser?

I've been told up to 40kg on the outside of Fraser is fine by a number of people. Definitely safe around the 20kg mark. Wouldn't touch that 50kg model caught recently hahaha.

Symetre, that vid is by the South African guys, one of their crew is a graphic designer, knows his shit!! We just lightly gaff them in the mouth, but our Namibian buddies (who make the excalibur rods and are pro guides) have said its perfectly fine to gaff sharks behind their dorsal fin if it needs doing.

As to removing hooks, big pliers, or one of those hook removers if you are hand at them. Just pay attention to what you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Symetre View Post
    Hi Shay,

That vid is great.

How do you safely unhook the sharks? Also where do you gaff them?
    The small sharks on that video could easily be de-hooked by pliers, or hand, if they're lipped. Just a matter of holding them down with one hand by putting pressure on the gill plate. Shouldn't need to gaff them at all. They won't actually reach your hands, contrary to popular 'opinion', if they start banana-ing. Simply grab them on the tail wrist with both hands and drag them up. Easy and very safe.

Shay, you should send one of the bigger spannos out whole on some bigger circle hooks - you'll then come across what eats those smaller whalers in that last vid!

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post

Shay, you should send one of the bigger spannos out whole on some bigger circle hooks - you'll then come across what eats those smaller whalers in that last vid!

Cuzza
    That would be epic - might need to up the gear!

Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    Hey Yoot! I remember you were a keen follower last year! Thanks for joining again. What rod did you get?
    Shimano Aerowave heavy, with Stradic 6000 FJ and 20Lb power pro, tailor here I come.

What's with the stupid East beach camping zones now, looks like zone 6 is closed, so have to camp at maheno or north near Indian head! Big gap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. Have a mates Dad who is up there on the beach atm but he didn't mention where he was. Will run into him tomorrow hopefully. Personally I'd go closer to Indian heads, but thats just me!
    Nice work on the rod. Bet you will catch some beauties with it! Good luck!!

And Haha, Cuzzi, I don't know if I could handle anything that eats a spanish whole!

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    Shimano Aerowave heavy, with Stradic 6000 FJ and 20Lb power pro, tailor here I come.

What's with the stupid East beach camping zones now, looks like zone 6 is closed, so have to camp at maheno or north near Indian head! Big gap!

Beach sites were mostly closed due to back burning being performed. They like to do rolling back burning so areas have different levels of fuel to prevent major fires.

Bloody freezing atm. Just at Happy Valley stealing reception. Tailor were better this morning than this arvo but lots of current made it impossible to slide this morning, maybe this arvo?

Arrgghh.....fighting my way through Monday then I read a post from someone sitting on Fraser. Good for you shay. Enjoy.

just got back from 4 days camping just north of Happy valley with a bunch of mates,got a fair haul of whiting, heaps of dart (All released bar one)and enough tailor to keep everyone happy. The weather was awesome if not a little wet Saturday night,Last night was a lot cooler! The full moon rising on beach last night was spectacular.

Cheers craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

4 days to go...

Tailor are starting to come on the chew. Definitely getting easier to catch everyday. Specially in the high tide gutters.

Monster shark last night. Still getting photos on board but I think there is one to start on facebook.

Beach is okish even at high tide. Can cross Eliat high. Just have to be careful of the washouts

Sounds like your into them again shay. Heading up on the 18th to take the kids again this year,look forward to your reports.

Weather looks ok too, last day of work tomorrow, hook up the trailer and leave for the first barge on sat morning.

I see zone 6 has reopened, so must just been back burning.

Nice to catch up with you Shay! Thanks for showing us the rigs, look forward to dropping past next year!