Thread: Small Lever Drags

Small Lever Drags

I'm after a bit of feedback on either the Penn Fathom 25NLD 2 or the Fin-Nor Lethal LTL 16 2. Any first hand experience and how would they compare to a Fin-Nor Marquesa 16N
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Re: Small Lever Drags

Those Lethals look good I reckon.

Horse is ASKING for advice on tackle? This is a shock.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    Horse is ASKING for advice on tackle? This is a shock.
    Yea well I haven't used either and don't even know anyone who has. The specs look good but I would like to hear from someone who has got their hands dirty with one
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Check out the shimano Talica range, have the 16, smoothest drag going around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers Shane

I know the Talicas and they are great reels but not in the same price range as the Fin-Nor and Penn Fathom. The Talicas are in the same category as the Penn Torques and both are worth more than double the cost of the ones I'm looking at. I don't want to invest that much in a reel that only gets used a couple of times a year
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I know the Talicas and they are great reels but not in the same price range as the Fin-Nor and Penn Fathom. The Talicas are in the same category as the Penn Torques and both are worth more than double the cost of the ones I'm looking at. I don't want to invest that much in a reel that only gets used a couple of times a year
    That's easy fixed Neil! Go fishing more often!

I think the fathom and the lethal would be roughly in the same league compared to the fin nor marquesa. I love my marquesa 20 for reds great gear ratio, just service it every year to get the best out of them. When you start talking torsa's, penn torque's, you would want to be fishing once a week at least to get your money's worth. I reckon the marquesa's are under rated personally.

The Fin-nor Lethal spinning reels got a massive thumbs up from Alan Hawk http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lth10.html

So if the lever drags are half as well made then they should be exceptional value for money.

I'll ask my mate Horse. He got a fathom not long ago so should have fished it a bit now. They have an awesome wrap. My brothers Torque has smashed some great fish to date.
    I will get back to you.

I think the PENN lever reels like the Fathom and Squall have thrust bearings now which prevents too much drag pressure from ruining your right plate bearing. This is a big improvement in lever drag development, which I think was lead by Okuma in their Makaira reel.

Yea Reggy, the Fathoms do have a thrust bearing which stops the binding you get on high drag pressures on many other small lever drags
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yes mate, that would have a great bearing (pun intended) on my choice of a lever drag reel. I think these new Penns are great value.
    cheers
    Reggy

I bought a Fathom FTH30LD2 earlier this year and spooled it up with braid. My first impressions is that is a light reel, with a strong drag and feels good, but due to a change in circumstances I haven't it used yet so I can't give an opinion as to how well it compares against other reels such as the Shimano Tyrnos, Fin-Nors ect as .. Although I am really itching to try it out though.

I ended up with a single speed Penn Fathom 25. Its a nice small reel that punches well above its weight. I have only used it for three days but its doing its job
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"