Thread: Enjoying fishing form the ski

Enjoying fishing form the ski

Hi all fellow jetski fishos... I've managed to get out a few times through winter, I hesitated thinking it might be too cold, but a bit of weather proof gear on and it's easy. A couple of productive trips to the sandhills for winter whiting and a couple of not so productive trips to Harry's, I'll keep persisting with softplastics but I haven't cracked the technique yet. A pre-dawn run and a late afternoon session with only a couple of fish none worth keeping. I was chatting to a fellow who was heading out through the South Passage Bar on his jetski and wished I had followed, but only had light gear with me.. A question though, once through the bar area how far is it to fishing grounds.. (I have about a 140km return range) and not sure if it is viable to try or just stay in the bay.
    Once I get a chance, I wouldn't mind heading up to Noosa for a fish on the close in reefs, I haven't been able to crack good weekend weather with time off... see you all out fishing.
    Andy

Re: Enjoying fishing form the ski

Good for you, Andy.

I have fished, crabbed and tried spearfishing as well from my ski in the same area. And the best fun so far is with mackerel and tuna in the bay.
    Sitting on the back of the ski, facing backwards, and fighting a mackerel is heaps of fun. The ski turns towards and gets towed easily if you turn up the drag.
    I haven't been out thru the SPB on my ski, although I have often thought about it. There are some good places to troll or drift in the shallows ten or 15 minutes from the bar. Been out there a few times in the last year or so with mates on 'real boats' and would love to catch on Spaniard out there on the 'ski.

Cheers, Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Re: Enjoying fishing form the ski

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    Good for you, Andy.

I have fished, crabbed and tried spearfishing as well from my ski in the same area. And the best fun so far is with mackerel and tuna in the bay.
    Sitting on the back of the ski, facing backwards, and fighting a mackerel is heaps of fun. The ski turns towards and gets towed easily if you turn up the drag.
    I haven't been out thru the SPB on my ski, although I have often thought about it. There are some good places to troll or drift in the shallows ten or 15 minutes from the bar. Been out there a few times in the last year or so with mates on 'real boats' and would love to catch on Spaniard out there on the 'ski.

Cheers, Pauly

Thanks Pauly...
    I'm looking forward to the Mackerel season... I sold my tinnie today so down to jetski fishing only.. I think I need a fishing diary or something to help me target fish a little more efficiently... unfortunately when I go out to try and catch whiting I see heaps of Macks or Tuna...and visa versa... ha... cheers