Thread: Best knife jig colour for kings

Best knife jig colour for kings

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what colour knife jigs people like to use when jigging for kings? I noticed my pink ones got a work over on the weekend and my yellow ones didn't get touched. What has everyone else had the best luck with?

Travis

Re: Best knife jig colour for kings

when i got into jigging a few years back ....to lazy now....black/gold got hit the most out of my colours then pink
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

zebra pattern silver and glow

i find pink and blue and also white with a reflective pattern seem to work the best.
    i have noticed when in a hot bit these colours get hammered more.
    myself and decki where jigging one day i had a green and yellow jig (aus colour) and he had a blue and pink jig he hooked up every drift 3 drifts.... so i changed to a black still nothing swapt to a white and finaly started landing fish but that could change every day with kingfish lol
    happy days ahead summer is coming

The Japanese jigging guru's say colour is only important to the angler, patterns matter the most.

yes but when there on it does not matter whats down there ......
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Back when I used to make my own jigs, plain dull stainless steel colour out fished every other colour, including store bought fancy paint jobs by a country mile, my theory was that it resembled a natural baitfish colour... Right or wrong, don't know, but they sure worked.

I'll try a rang of colours next trip out and see what I come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    yes but when there on it does not matter whats down there ......
    There was a bloke on here years ago that had footage on another forum of him catching AJ's and Samson on a shifter rigged with an assist.

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

my most successful kingfish jig has been ones i bought in Thailand that are pink and orange with a flouro strip down the back. Have worn all of the color off now so have recently resorted to a cheapo jig that looks like a slimy mackerel that has a pink tint down the back. These also work very well. Have also tries green/yellow combination but this does not seem as well liked but still catch the odd fish.

I found that colour didn't really matter too much as long as there was a ganged pilchard about 30cm above the jig.

Jigging is too much like hard work for the likes of me and I take my hat off to you fellas that preserver with it.