Thread: Boaing binoculars

Boaing binoculars

I want to purchase some binoculars for the boat. Any recommendations and rough prices?
    Self focusing or automatic focusing etc?
    Thank you
    Ros

Re: Boaing binoculars

You need one with gyro for stabilisation, standard binocular is too hard to use on a boat
    Good quality Gyroscope stabilised binocular is well above $1000 mark.

Stabilised would be good. I was going to suggest a smaller magnification - 6 or 7 power magnification. Smaller magnification is easier to deal with when you are bouncing around.

If your going to spend that sort of dosh on Bino's make sure they have two very important features - they float and they are waterproof. Personally I just use a standard set and brace against a canopy bar or the top of the screen when I am looking at something. What ever you decide on - make sure you get a look through them and play with focus mechanisms etc first - I have seen some very pricey and full featured binoculars that were very average for me but other blokes loved them. Some I just never seem to be able to get to focus properly (no I wasn't p*ssed).

Boaing binoculars

I have always used 7 x 50 for 'on the boat/water'. Best combination of magnification and field of view. Don't go above 7x power, they will be useless on the boat - well unless you go a full whizz-bang set with gyro stabilisation etc.

I also like binoculars with a compass, just makes it so much easier to find birds/debris/floating object (whatever it is that you are looking for) with the boat, after you have found them in the 'noccers'. I like a fully manual focus, with L/R eye adjustment - the KISS simple - less to go wrong . But each to their own.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up on binoculars in the boat, these days I use a cheap 40x telescope I picked up on ebay. You know, the pirate kind, easy to use and stow away.

Hi mate I recently bought some Bushnell 7 x 50 waterproof binos and reckon they are great. Get the ones that float. I bought them on line from the US - much cheaper than Oz. Only cost about $180 delivered from memory. They arrived at my door in 7 days.