Thread: 1770 1st August

1770 1st August

G'day all I'm a bit late with this report but better late than never I suppose. Made the decision a couple of weeks ago to head up north and chase a few reds. 4 blokes and 2 boats. Left the sunny coast early Saturday morning with the plan to return early Monday. Didn't get the boat in the water until nearly lunchtime Saturday and the wind was blowing just enough to make it uncomfortable. First stop was barcoola wreck to warm the arms up and gather a bit of fresh bait. With a few decent kings and ajs landed and the weather still blowing a good 15 to 20 we decided to head straight to Fitzroy for a few beers and a comfortable night sleep. Sunday was going to be the day to put a few fish in the box. With the wind still up a bit from the day before we headed out of Fitzroy as the sun was coming up and off to chase some reds. The day started well with a 10+kg model coming from my very first drop. After that the fishing was pretty slow for most part of the day. We kept at it and marked a fair bit of new ground while putting a feed together. The Reds were pretty quiet but we pulled a few good sized trout off the bigger pinnacles and got the arms stretched by some Xl chinamen. Sunday night was spent inside of Sykes in dead calm conditions with a huge full moon and a few more beers. We were pretty keen to get home on Monday but needed to fill up the esky before we left. We started around the shoals at Sykes first thing but it was unusually quiet so headed a little East to a pinnacle we marked the day before. It was full of life and had an extremely mixed bag of fish sitting on it. We got our bag of good sized RTE a few nice Maori cod, some tuskies and other bits and pieces in an action packed hour or so of fishing. Sharks were reasonably kind to us this trip although we did lose 1 nice red to the tax man. Back at the ramp before lunch and home by 5. Another cracking trip up there even though the fishing was a touch slow. Heres a Couple of pics from the Haines I was fishing in. Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	110491   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	110490   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	110489   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	110488   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	110487  

Re: 1770 1st August

Nice mate. Top effort.

Well done Barryl & crew.

Some nice fish there and that pinnacle good one.

Good feed mate..nice sounder shot.

Cheers lads. That pinnacle was found on our way out from Fitzroy and the Photo was taken going pretty slow over it. I reckon it would have to be one of the steepest I've found just a pity it's wasn't a few metres deeper.