Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Looking at getting rid of my 115 Merc 2 stroke and going for a new 4 stroke. My understanding is that these newer 4 stroke engines are lighter than 2 strokes of similar HP and have a better fuel economy. I have just started researching and notice Honda do a 7 year warranty which seems good value. I have yet to check the Merc and other engines for prices and value so thought I would throw it on here first for opinions, who uses a four stroke in the say 115 to 130 hp range, which model and how have you found it.
    I will be getting serious at the next Brisie boat show and it would be good to have a few pointers up my sleeve for then.
    Thanks guys

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

You will notice a huge difference in fuel use compared to an old carby 2stroke, as far as motors go, check the weights in the HP you are after, the Honda 7 year warranty is good, swayed me into getting a tiller steer 50 for my new tinny.

Oh, just one more thing, do you're home work on prices, Boat shows are not usually cheaper, give Spaniard king a PM, he is a Honda dealer and people who have got motors off him say he gives good service, I would certainly call him if I was closer.

The new Yamaha 130hp could be a perfect choice. Light and frugal on fuel.

Merc four strokes are getting good reviews. Haven't been out long enough to get long term results.

Don't rule out the ETEC range. Lighter and better on fuel than the four stroke equivalent. Haven't heard of any complaints from the local mechanics that are fitting them to commercial boats in Gladstone.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

A mate of mine has a Suzy 140 Four on his Signature 543 and he has been happy with it. He has a Solas four blade prop, don't know what size but regularly goes offshore to Deep Tempest from Manly with 4 POB and uses around 70 litres of fuel round trip. Not bad considering my 2 stroke 175 Merc EFI uses about 120 litres.
    Duck

Thanks guys, good info there so far. Spaniard King seems to have a good reputation through the forum so will certainly see what he can do for me, not too keen on going through the bigger agencies. My main reason for doing the boat show would be purely for the convenience of having all models available for comparison all in one spot, not necessary to buy, would rather deal with a smaller local guy with a good reputation for service and integrity.

A year ago I put a 140 zuk on my 540 sig and couldn't be happier with it. The same could be said with the inclusion of tabs and hydraulic steering. Stay away from etec's as they devalue your boat in the market place.

If you have a local guy with a good reputation for service, it probably be a good idea to consider whatever brand he sells. Although, as Gary is mobile, he would likely fit that description.

In the last 10 months I water tested a 115 Command Thrust Mercury, a 140 Suzuki and a 130 Etec. As good as the 4 strokes are getting these days, they still can't deliver torque like a modern DI 2 stroke- regardless of what the manufacturers are claiming. The Etec is just as quiet as the 4 strokes at idle and has a nicer note the rest of the time, the other two sounded like vacuum cleaners to me. Fuel economy is also outstanding on the V4s. I had to travel a bit further but I chose the Etec, it wasn't a hard choice for me. Some people say you might get X% more in 10 years when you sell a 4 stroke etc, that's the way the market has gone over the last decade I guess, but I'd rather have a better performing engine on my hull. I can't wait until Evinrude start expanding their new G2 range.

Also regarding the Mercs, I'd skip the 115 in favour of the newly released 135 as far as bang for buck goes. From the prices I've seen it's only slightly more expensive but you're getting a detuned version of the larger displacement (and proven) 150. Merc markets the new 75-115 range as "reliable" but for an engine that's only been out ~12 months I'd be waiting a couple of years before believing the brochure. In any case if you're set on a 4 stroke it's hard to look past the high displacement Mercs.

My pick for 115hp would be either the Merc 115 in Command Thrust, or the Yamaha 115. They have good power to weight, with the Merc being a bit better at only 162kg. Plus the Merc is a huge 2.1 litre displacement. Honda make nice motors, but their 115 is way too heavy. Its basically a de-tuned 150.
    I have been in the new 135 Merc and its got grunt for days, but at 204 kgs not sure how a Signature 540 would float it.
    Merc also have warranty against corrosion, the only manufacturer who does as far as I know.
    Etec 115 has heaps of grunt, but its an etec.

Don't discount the importance of transom weight as it can drastically effect the balance of a boat. As the Honda is a somewhat heavier engine in this HP class, if you do decide that is the way forward, throw some sandbags in the back of the boat to make up the difference between what you have now and the new weight and see what you think. If you have multiple HP classes with the same engine weight and the budget stretches - fit the highest HP allowed for your hull. No personal experience with the new Merc115 apart from a conversation I had with a bloke at the ramp the other night that was running one - I was pretty amazed at just how quiet the thing was at the revs required to drive his boat onto the trailer. When quizzed as to whether he was happy with it, his response was "wanted an E-Tec as that's what all my mates run but I couldn't go past the deal on this and to date it's been good". All of the modern day motors are pretty reliable but they all have an intolerance for poor fuel quality. The comment above about a trusted service outlet is certainly a valid one as it will be them who will go into bat for you with the manufacturer if there is a problem. If you dig deep enough there are horror stories with all brands and for every one of those there will be a bloke two doors down that swears the same motor is the best thing since sliced bread. Opinions are like the proverbial and Chinese whispers run deep when it comes to motors. Whatever you put on, make sure it is correctly set up and propped to achieve closer to the top end of the manufacturers specified WOT RPM than the bottom. If you want connectivity to GPS systems for fuel economy, look into what is required - pricier with some than others, look at gauge packages, what prop if any is standard and what sort of range is available, will the dealer exchange props if required, dealer location and will they come to you (and at what cost) - this may be very pertinent given your location and the extra hassle and expense of getting your boat to the dealers, costs of servicing and requirements for maintaining your warranty and the warranty itself as some examples.

^ this should be posted as standard for any "what motor should I put on my boat?" Question. Great advice.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

I have just checked the spec sheets (link below) on my 2002 boat and it gives the max engine weight for this model as 240 kg and engine power of 140 hp max so the Merc 135 4 stroke weighing in at 204 kg's looks like a good contender. My current 2003 115 hp Merc according to the engine plate, weighs 158 kg's which seems light by comparison....

The quest continues, thanks again for all the valid comments and sugestions, much apreciated

http://www.thehainesgroup.com/new/_u...ec_Details.pdf

46kg heavier, plus sump oil weight - let's say an even 50kg , hanging off the transom will be a huge difference. Handling and balance will be effected.

As Scotty says, whack 50kg of sandbags in the well, hanging over the transom lip even, and go for a spin.

If you are happy with the handling compromise then go for it. At least this way you will know what you are in for.

At least you will still be well under the max weight. Spoke to a guy years ago that had a 130 Honda on this boat. He loved the engine, but hated the combo. Way too bum heavy.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 542cc with a 135 optimax which is 200k.g. plus the oil container. It floated it no worries and loved the power. It topped out at 40 knots with a furry prop. If you want fuel economy it is hard to beat an opti.
    nil carborundum illegitimi