Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

I guess in a way, it is just like the old Beta V VHS, Beta was a superior system, but, lost the market for various reasons, a few manufacturers went their own way with a completely different format, but in the end, I think Sony persisted with Beta, the rest went VHS kind of like BRP with 2 strokes, but eventually, they too changed, and Beta was just a memory.

Being an american built product i think there would be a big county support from the US before BRP folds or concedes and turns to 4 stroke but in saying that can u imagine if BRP put all there knowlege that went into Etecs in to a 4 stroke range of models... just if...

Evinrude is the oldest outboard manufacturer and imo they are the leaders in technology all though not the most favorable technology by users

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

BRP has plenty of 4 stroke engines they already produce that would be easy to adapt to an outboard, whether they do it or not will be a top level executive decision based on market, not nostalgia, BRP marine division is not exactly running red hot at the moment, they are buying boat brands in the US and here as well, is this a last ditch effort to gather sales?

Yeah i didnt even think of there 4 stroke jetski engines.. if they made an outboard using there Seadoo Spark engine geez imagine the fuel economy the Spark gets like 4 hours to something like 50 litres at full throttle if that was on a boat i reckon it would be a massive hit

i dont know where you get they are leaders in technology, a sales brochure maybe.
    just because the other options are four strokes doesnt mean they are any less advanced.
    most of the other manufacturers are using car based engine blocks and benefiting from that and id say its a hella lot easier to meet emission targets when your lubricating oil is kept in the sump.

plenty of info why envirude went bust ficht engines arrogance ineptitude the list is huge in the end they dont exist apart from a name used by brp now

People often blame the FICHT engine for the demise of OMC, but in fact it was a lot of financial decisions that sent them down the gurgler, their engine choice didn't help, but it wasn't the biggest issue they faced.

I can't see BRP developing their own in house four strokes,they seem to put a Rotax in anything that requires one.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    i dont know where you get they are leaders in technology, a sales brochure maybe.
    just because the other options are four strokes doesnt mean they are any less advanced.
    most of the other manufacturers are using car based engine blocks and benefiting from that and id say its a hella lot easier to meet emission targets when your lubricating oil is kept in the sump.

plenty of info why envirude went bust ficht engines arrogance ineptitude the list is huge in the end they dont exist apart from a name used by brp now
    Pulling that 130 apart just seemed like it was all late model technology the bare block was pretty much a regular 2 stroke but it was much more than that and this is only mechanical i am use to old school premix the etec had oil delivery going to multiple locations as if a lot of knowledge went into where that oil was specifically delievered there were a oil pump and another thing like a distributor
    The fuel injectors were weird im use to old school fuel rail into the manifold, i can barely remember pulling much of the etec apart
    But the etec software really opens your eyes as to how technical the etecs really are they are all high end technology u not only have options but u get read outs of how parts like sensors are working like ss if it has a pulse its just really crazy i only knew the basics of the program it was a multitude of settings and options it was so advanced i didnt know what 3/4 of the crap was

The modern day 4 stroke is a piece of piss to work on its basically just a car engine as mentioned there is nothing really advanced about it

The block is just as much advanced a 1995 toyota corolla there really is not much to it

Electrically u cannot adjust them the timing is preset, the ecu is just plug and play...

We really are paying big money for 3 decade old technology that may be minor advanced

My mercury is a 2009 and its still using valve bucket shims... someone previously mentioned on the boards i think suzuki were using these in the 80's

4 strokes are really not advancing much at all because they are reliable and function i reckon they see it as why change what has been working for decades that is why 4 strokes are so simple

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    BRP has plenty of 4 stroke engines they already produce that would be easy to adapt to an outboard, whether they do it or not will be a top level executive decision based on market, not nostalgia, BRP marine division is not exactly running red hot at the moment, they are buying boat brands in the US and here as well, is this a last ditch effort to gather sales?
    Maybe why Bombardier also sold off their commercial aircraft division to Airbus?

Gazza they are changing all the time. Not every model in their ranges but there has been continual change in four strokes

The weights have dropped dramatically over the years just for one thing

Bigger and bigger capacity engines are turning up

Don’t know why your so in love with bombardier recreational products

I used several of their rotax max kart engines use to get about 10 hours out of them if I was lucky and didn’t blow one up

To say Honda yanaha Mercury are not technologically savvy is a bit hilarious

Envirude Giles for bankruptcy remember and part of that was their technology couldn’t meet the laws of the day ie they were shit

Free Membership

I'd have to agree with Gazza, the current crop of 4-stroke options in this power bracket are essentially car engines from 20 years ago in terms of the tech (or actually are, in the case of Honda). Nothing wrong with that as such, evidentially the reliability is good, but it's quite clear they are offering nothing more than what is required to keep pace with the other 4 strokes on the market. They could very easily include some of the Etec G2 features like direct injection, digital controls, auto-trim etc... I'm hoping/thinking that the new 115-150 G2 coming to market will force the other manufacturers to lift their game a bit in regards to some of this stuff. I see Yamaha does have DI on it's 425hp model haha

Anyone else able to contribute some real world data from their Sig 54x???

There may be a few more sensors on a modern 4 stroke outboard but really its not much different

I wrecked a Honda 50hp one time 3 cylinder and it had head corrosion part of the deal was i would drop it by the auto engine rebuilder to weld the corrosion than ship it onto the buyer, when i took it to the engineering company the guy knew the head strait away and noded asking what was it off so it must have been a really old design

I have a Signature 540 with a Yamaha F130 and have done over 100hrs with it so far, previously i had a Honda 130 on the back with over 1200hrs. The Honda was a good motor, reliable but heavy. The new yamaha is about 50kg lighter so that was a big tick. As far as performance goes the Yamaha is a whole lot better on fuel but it also seems to make its power a lot higher in the rev range, partly due to the smaller displacement 1.8 vs 2.2 for the honda and partly due to the gear ratio i believe. I have tried a few different props to get things how i want and very happy with the motor.

When i was looking to upgrade I was only after a four stroke, wouldn't touch a 2 banger for a number of reasons. Mostly as i didnt want to de-value my boat and the performance of modern 4 strokes is more than adequate for anything 95% of us do. Plus i dont buy into any of evinrudes marketing hype. Ive been in a few boats with etecs and they were fine, just not for me.

i would have bought a suzuki/honda/mercury in the same HP bracket and would have initially preferred something with a larger displacement but its not always about what you want but more so about the best deal you can get and the yamaha came up along way in front there. To think of these modern engines as rehashed car engines is a long way off the mark IMO.

Lachie

Quote Originally Posted by Lachie1 View Post
    I have a Signature 540 with a Yamaha F130 and have done over 100hrs with it so far, previously i had a Honda 130 on the back with over 1200hrs. The Honda was a good motor, reliable but heavy. The new yamaha is about 50kg lighter so that was a big tick. As far as performance goes the Yamaha is a whole lot better on fuel but it also seems to make its power a lot higher in the rev range, partly due to the smaller displacement 1.8 vs 2.2 for the honda and partly due to the gear ratio i believe. I have tried a few different props to get things how i want and very happy with the motor.

When i was looking to upgrade I was only after a four stroke, wouldn't touch a 2 banger for a number of reasons. Mostly as i didnt want to de-value my boat and the performance of modern 4 strokes is more than adequate for anything 95% of us do. Plus i dont buy into any of evinrudes marketing hype. Ive been in a few boats with etecs and they were fine, just not for me.

i would have bought a suzuki/honda/mercury in the same HP bracket and would have initially preferred something with a larger displacement but its not always about what you want but more so about the best deal you can get and the yamaha came up along way in front there. To think of these modern engines as rehashed car engines is a long way off the mark IMO.

Lachie
    Lachie your 2.2L Honda uses a car engine not sure which one but im sure it is one

So answering the original question a new Yam 130 would be a good choice