Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

How come no one ever recommends evinrude? 10 years warranty how could u beat that

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Poor resale?

I thought it would only be the older generation with poor resale value

Gotta say if my 90hp mercury is to small for my boat i wouldnt mind swapping or selling it for a 130hp 150hp 175hp Evinrude Etec G1 i know i could have kept my 130hp Etec G1 but financially i was $500 short on buying that powerhead from the wreckers

This has been discussed on nearly every forum in every country, and nothing incites a riot like an e-tec compared to any other motor made, they do suffer badly with resale value, right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Yeah i understand the depreciation on the G1 but we have moved on now to the later models

If your going to pay $15,000 for a engine and keep it for 10 years at which point.its value is $5,000 apposed to a 4 stroke at $7,000 your not talking much difference

I think there are a couple of members here who have had a problem free 10 year run, i think the $2,000 loss is small

Resale value for a G1 Etec is not really that low as a lot of people spear them, a 115hp 2006 will still sell for $4,500-$5,000 that in a 4 stroke would only sell for $6,500

The big ball tearers may depreciate a lot more 200hp 250hp Etecs for $6000 but its not a super dooper matket for such big engines

The 10 year warranty is not that great a bonus. It’s a weird manufacture/tel water warranty anyway at their discretion and a obvious push for sales while it was being offered

People expect outboards of any brand to last that long Or longer anyway and if they didn’t Facebook and here would be full of posts saying xyz outboard had failed

Resale would be the main reason
    The no service thing is just a marketing gimmick as the fine print states it needs to be maintained and maintained more often in saltwater.

For warranty to stand home maintaining would be a hard thing to prove if it got messy

The yanks may like their marketing campaigns but it’s not a aussie way of doing things

I guess we have become use to 3,6,12 month servicing it should be done on any engine even if the manufacturer specifies other wise... when u look at it a mercury impeller is rubber just like the evinrude so should be treated in a like for like case based on servicing

No harm in servicing a engine every 12 months when your told u can do it once every 3 years, your not actually buying a engine based on that surely

I think people derate the evinrudes because they are '2 stroke technology' opposed to 4 stroke technology that people can easily appreciate as they are probably driving a car each day of the week without it breaking down...

I shit u not i picked up that whole evinrude 130hp powerhead by my self and walked 25 meters with it

I picked up that mercury 90hp 4 stroke powerhead and ended up in emergency

The evinrudes weight was all in the leg that thing was bloody heavy but the top half had no weight now if evinrude focused on making a lighter mid section and made that whopper heavy gearbox lighter we would see a massive diet on the evinrudes it would be a game changer

You say heavy gearbox like it's a bad thing. Do the legendary E-tec woes include gearbox issues?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    You say heavy gearbox like it's a bad thing. Do the legendary E-tec woes include gearbox issues?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I have never changed a gearbox on a big 130hp before it just felt like it was built solid where as the powerhead was feather light maybe it was an engineering design to get all the weight down low for CofG

I tried lifting the whole leg, gearbox and mid section with tilt and trim unlocked and she weighed that much i couldnt lift it

Once i had it disassembled i would estimate the gearbox to be around 50kg the mid exhaust section weighed around 50kg too or more that included the full t and t unit and transom brackets

Just could not believe how light that powerhead was i've lifted a 2 cylinder jetski rotax engine that weighed more

Isn’t Evinrude the only brand still making 2 strokes? So they either have a niche market or they have a tough road ahead or both

Yep, I have said this many times before, there is really only a couple of outcomes, the whole sticking with a 2 stroke becomes a master stroke of management, or, they add a 4 stroke to their range (been rumoured before) or, they continue as is and just slowly lose market share and just whither away until BRP simply pulls the pin on that division.

I guess I should add, my post above in no way reflects whether I think an e-tec is better or worse than other motors, it's just my opinion on possible outcomes for BRP, the dwindling market share worldwide is however true.

Its this kind of market sentiment that also reduces the resale of the BRP product. Like for those of us who remember beta and vhs....