Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

really Swof, that much of a difference ?, anyone else care to comment on this prop business, a props a prop no ? Iv'e spent enough money already, you don't work for BSM Cleveland by chance, name perhaps Jon lol.
    Seriously, is there really that much difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    Nice motor great on fuel. I'd rethink your prop thoughts, I have a 543rf with a df140a so similar setup. It came with a 21 alloy prop and I was initially disappointed. It was very slow out of the hole, and top speed wasn't good at all. I changed to a 20 stainless prop and the boat was transformed! Fairly leapt out of the hole and 3-4 knots higher top speed. More responsive throughout the entire rev range well worth it. If they are only going to charge you 600 for the stainless I'd definitely go for it mine as an outright purchase was double that ouch! Cheers

Yeah, I was initially unconvinced of the extent of ss benefit which is why I just got the alloy when I bought the boat. The ss prop does have a 5% "easier" pitch which would obviously let the engine spin up quicker plus the vent holes in front of the blades like some merc props to pass exhaust over the blade and let it spin up faster from low revs. I guess the alloy prop must flex a lot more than the ss coz it just hasn't got the instant response or the acceleration of the ss. And no I don't work for anybody just passing on my personal experience you don't have to heed it.

Cheers

Just joking with you Swof and do appreciate your input. Thinking about it I guess there would be less drag on the ss than on the painted alloy too, will see if I can still get it included for that half price, I did think I probably should have when we initially discussed it, thanks mate

spending 16,000 dollars to save 50l ($65) of fuel would need you to do 246 trips to break even
    upgrading just to save fuel is not really a financial reason for the average user who does his 10-20 trips a year
    they have only been out 12 months or so how many new engines have you seen at the ramps id say two fifths of bugger all and if they are merc four strokes they would be the previous models

Quote Originally Posted by desertislander View Post
    Hi GBC, just having a look at the Mercury catalogue and it seems the smallest Optimax model now is the 150 hp Pro XS with the V6 engine which I would have thought would be a bit of a gas guzzler. Is your opti a V6 ?

I think I am pretty well set on a Merc 4 stroke now, been chating to guys on the boat ramps who have them and it seems the overall majority love what they have, many saying it's just so much cheaper to run fuel wise and they are much quieter with less fumes than the old 2 stroke plus the added five year warranty is quite a bonus.

So, the short list now is either the 115 which is virtually the same weight as my current 2 stroke or the 135 which is approx 50 kg heavier but I think the extra power for around $1200 more could be well worth it. I just have to now do as Scott suggested and bung an extra 50 kg's in the well to see how it feels.

Once thats been sorted, I just have to decide how best to sell my 2 stoke, do I just trade it in and get a nice tidy change over all in one go or do I sell it privately for a better price, nah, I think the first option is the best, too much "ginning" around waiting for people to show up, trial it etc, it could take months.
    Anyone care to suggest a fair trade in price for a 2002/3 115 with just over 200 hours in good running order

OK Steve, I am over the line now, what's your opinion on SS props as apposed to ally

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    spending 16,000 dollars to save 50l ($65) of fuel would need you to do 246 trips to break even
    upgrading just to save fuel is not really a financial reason for the average user who does his 10-20 trips a year
    they have only been out 12 months or so how many new engines have you seen at the ramps id say two fifths of bugger all and if they are merc four strokes they would be the previous models

You forget the all important proviso and that's range. My last trip was 300k's. Its 4 stroke or sit at home on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    You forget the all important proviso and that's range. My last trip was 300k's. Its 4 stroke or sit at home on the couch.
    I have never had a range issue with any of the 15 or so boats ive owned so range has never been a issue
    your use Is obviously different nothing wrong with old school 2 strokes if they suit your needs

just because you need 300km range does not mean every one has the same need

clubmarine had a report a few years back and the average use of a boat was 5-10 trips per year and the average km was under 100 per trip

Quote Originally Posted by desertislander View Post
    OK Steve, I am over the line now, what's your opinion on SS props as apposed to ally
    both work if you have the correct diameter pitch and no of blades
    talk to solas or the like or owners of boats with similar setups

its not just the slipperiness of stainless as you alluded to as above

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

You will find the 140 suks are very sensitive to prop, not so much material but the pitch and blade no.
    used to be about $1200 for a ss prop genuine 14x20 whereas an alloy will only sting you about $250.
    youve already spent big dollars, why cut short of the best prop?
    Also the 14x20 props are near impossible to get hold of 2nd hand.

cheers Ryan

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature ( UPDATE )

BUMMER, Today I took my boat to be fitted with new Suzuki 140 and was told by John my Signature is only rated to a 135 HP ( as per Haines manufacturers plate on the boat C 2002) and next one down from the 140 is the 115, what to do, not sure to go for another brand or just grin and bare it, drag is there's only about $1200 difference in the price so would have preferred at least a 135 in another brand. perhaps. Since Haines are the supliers of the Suzuki engines John said he would check with them to see if that might have changed by now, fingers crossed, was looking forward to the extra horses

Never fear Phil /Desertislander if 135 is your max and you want power and zip and all the fun that goes with it try one of these http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engine...ho/etec_135_ho

Shsh don't tell anyone 148hp http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engine...ho/etec_135_ho

Cheers
    Chimo

Let me Know if you want a sharp price on a 135 Honda
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Enquire with haines about recertifying the hull. Tell them its either that or a different brand of motor goes on

The current spec of the 540f is max HP of 140 but only if you have hydraulic steering. 130 without hydyaulic.

I think you'll be ok, Haines will confirm that, I reckon.

see here:
    http://signatureboats.com.au/assets/...ochure-web.pdf

Also, you'd be crazy not to get the stainless prop for $600 extra. That is a special price if done as part of the initial purchase, it will cost you double that if you leave it till later. I got the same deal off Jon a few years ago on my 115. And the Suzuki SS prop he will put on there is very good, better acceleration, fuel economy and ability to stay on the plane is far better than the alloy version. Chalk and cheese. DO IT!!!!!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Panic over troops

John just spoke with Haines, and yes, we can go with the 140hp providing it has hydraulic steering, phew, thank god for that, I had added it few months ago, Haines will re plate it for us.

Thanks moonlighter and I hear you re the SS prop