Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

If all other things are close enough to apples..or as close as is possible today with all the bull-tish sprouted.......always go for the biggest cubic capacity engine on any boat.

PM Sent
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Can't go wrong with a Yamaha or Suzuki.

We use 115/225 Yammys on all our work boats. We tried Mercs out but had nothing but trouble so went back to the Yamahas.

Duplicated, please remove mods, thanks
    Last edited by desertislander; 23-08-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: duplicated

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    PM Sent
    Replied Garry, thanks

UPDATE Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

OK, finally did the deed, I went for the 140 Suzuki 4 stroke, the main reason being the convenience of the agent being in Cleveland, I get it fitted in a couple of weeks, cant wait.

Thanks for everyone's input, it really helped

Re: UPDATE Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Quote Originally Posted by desertislander View Post
    OK, finally did the deed, I went for the 140 Suzuki 4 stroke, the main reason being the convenience of the agent being in Cleveland, I get it fitted in a couple of weeks, cant wait.

Thanks for everyone's input, it really helped
    Tell them to put the motor the highest it will go. Good choice.

great choice did you get a good price?

No sure, what is a good price ?

I'm not exactly sure either but i know they are a lot of $$$

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Anywhere around $16k with the garmin digital guages is a good price. I hope you went the extra for a stainless prop,prob a 14x20 3 blade will give you a good starting point.
    The garmin gauges used to be a boat show special but you or your dealer can neg with Haines and see what they will do for you. The new lean burn are a great unit, you will love it.

cheer Ryan

Thanks yes $16,000 is a good price, good to have a negotiating price. Enjoy your rig. We've jus been on Great Keppel for a week with our Whittley club it was magical.

Thumbs up Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

I managed $14,200 and I decided to go with the White analogue dials since they were the same size as the Mercury ones and should fit into existing holes quite nicely. I didn't like the idea of that boxy looking digital thing siting in one section of the helm leaving all those old patched up instrument holes, think it would have looked a bit daggy, not to mention having to remember which buttons to press for each function on the digital, I have enough problems working out my scanner/sounder.
    I didn't bother with a stainless prop as it would have been about another $600 and the consensus was the supplied aluminium ones will do the job just as well ( hope I am not going to regret this)
    Also getting an engine cowl cover included in the deal,
    Jon at Bayside Suzuki Marine Cleveland seems a top bloke to deal with

Nice motor great on fuel. I'd rethink your prop thoughts, I have a 543rf with a df140a so similar setup. It came with a 21 alloy prop and I was initially disappointed. It was very slow out of the hole, and top speed wasn't good at all. I changed to a 20 stainless prop and the boat was transformed! Fairly leapt out of the hole and 3-4 knots higher top speed. More responsive throughout the entire rev range well worth it. If they are only going to charge you 600 for the stainless I'd definitely go for it mine as an outright purchase was double that ouch! Cheers

Thats fantastic I'm so happy for you. I might give them a call and see what they can do for me.