Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    I had a 542cc with a 135 optimax which is 200k.g. plus the oil container. It floated it no worries and loved the power. It topped out at 40 knots with a furry prop. If you want fuel economy it is hard to beat an opti.
    Hi GBC, just having a look at the Mercury catalogue and it seems the smallest Optimax model now is the 150 hp Pro XS with the V6 engine which I would have thought would be a bit of a gas guzzler. Is your opti a V6 ?

I think I am pretty well set on a Merc 4 stroke now, been chating to guys on the boat ramps who have them and it seems the overall majority love what they have, many saying it's just so much cheaper to run fuel wise and they are much quieter with less fumes than the old 2 stroke plus the added five year warranty is quite a bonus.

So, the short list now is either the 115 which is virtually the same weight as my current 2 stroke or the 135 which is approx 50 kg heavier but I think the extra power for around $1200 more could be well worth it. I just have to now do as Scott suggested and bung an extra 50 kg's in the well to see how it feels.

Once thats been sorted, I just have to decide how best to sell my 2 stoke, do I just trade it in and get a nice tidy change over all in one go or do I sell it privately for a better price, nah, I think the first option is the best, too much "ginning" around waiting for people to show up, trial it etc, it could take months.
    Anyone care to suggest a fair trade in price for a 2002/3 115 with just over 200 hours in good running order

Yes, the opti was a 6 cylinder. They had their teething issues, but guzzling fuel wasn't one of them, v6 or not.

Looking at the specs of the (both 4 cylinder) 115/135 four strokes it would be a no brainer for me to spend the $1200 and go for the bigger motor. If Merc is what I was buying. I'd look hard at a 140 zuk though which is significantly lighter for more h.p. And see how it compares on the $$ as well. A 135/140 will literally hurl your boat onto the plane and use probably less fuel to run at similar speeds as the 115 might, and work much less. Of course there is also the added bonus of going faster which is always quietly on the wish list, and better resale. All the engines are well within the stern weight range of the boat.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Thanks for that GBC, good points. I have never heard of a Zuk, so I wonder how this would rate in the resale value market ?

"Zuk" is a Suzuki

Ha Ha, there you go Scott and here was me thinking it was some unknown distant foreign brand, so yes, worth a look, they certainly make good bike engines

Just checked the pricing on the Zuk's" at Aus Marine and they do the 115 at $15500 and the 140 at $16200 and by comparison, on Merc's 135 I was quoted $15200 and on their 115 it was $13800 so the Mercs seem a better deal money wise and I would have thought these prices could have a bit more play in them once you get down to the nitty gritty

Quote Originally Posted by desertislander View Post
    Just checked the pricing on the Zuk's" at Aus Marine and they do the 115 at $15500 and the 140 at $16200 and by comparison, on Merc's 135 I was quoted $15200 and on their 115 it was $13800 so the Mercs seem a better deal money wise and I would have thought these prices could have a bit more play in them once you get down to the nitty gritty
    Suzuki 140 has better technology with their lean burn system, better gear ratio's for props so your boat does what it should do quicker. Mercury are a basic 4 stroke engine nothing flash, nothing at all. Suzuki are better than Mercury my opinion 70hp-150hp range

A 3L 135 merc is going to obliterate a 2L 140 zuk for torque. Remember that the peak HP number is only made way up at WOT, whereas the torque you get from a high displacement engine is available all over the rev range. A torquey engine also isn't working as hard which is great from the fuel economy perspective too. Mercury made their new 4 strokes simple on purpose.

At the end of the day mate, find the dealer that you are happy with. That is who you will be dealing with for your services and any warranty issues so if you aren't happy with them go elsewhere and look at other engines. At the end of the day engines these days are all very good and you should choose on more than just cost and label.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Too right Ozy, but all the spiel you get from the various dealers for the different brands who will tell you their system is the best in the world etc which is fair enough, thats what they make their commisions from, selling you theirs...
    I find talking to various indipendant owners far more valuable in the initial process so that I get a bit of an idea in my own mind as to what will really suit my particular need. I don't like to rush this process, too much money involved for later regrets, but I am getting a much better handle on things now and will soon be ready to take the plunge.

Couldn't agree more with ozynorts as well. So often overlooked is the after sales service.
    Most manufactures offer outboards across the range of all hp class, so go and chat to all your local dealers, research the dealers history and find out what they have to offer, you'll soon find out who is more interested in selling you their product to you.
    Don't get caught up in a manhood measuring contest as to who makes the best outboard!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL,
    at 69 I am way past the manhood angle Barney, just making sure I get it right for me, no hurry

I have a merc 90 2 stoke on my Whittley Impala 5.3 glass boat, it certainly pushes it along well and I've never had any trouble. I know a guy with exactly the same boat who upgraded to a 140DF Suzuki 4 stroke and he said it's a bit heavy for the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    A 3L 135 merc is going to obliterate a 2L 140 zuk for torque. Remember that the peak HP number is only made way up at WOT, whereas the torque you get from a high displacement engine is available all over the rev range. A torquey engine also isn't working as hard which is great from the fuel economy perspective too. Mercury made their new 4 strokes simple on purpose.
    Spot on. Mate I run a 115 Yamaha on a similar sized boat and I can honestly say if the mercs were around a few years ago when I bought my Yamaha I wouldn't own it.

I went from a 115 yammi 4 stroke to the 140 zuk and got an extra 10kph's in the 540 sig. It carries the weight easily.