Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Re: Best 4 stroke for my 5.4 f Signature

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Noel it would be interesting to know how they came to the decision not to develop 4 stroke technology as well as their existing range ..it seems to have worked out pretty well for Mercury ..when I looked at the Black anchor 4 stroke's mid-last year there was a waiting list as they couldn't keep up with demand...

Also remember BRP have bought a 80% stake in Telwater now rather than Telwater just being a Evinrude distributor ..so that's 10000 transoms a year to potentially hang an Etec off and they can gear their marketing toward that goal now...

Basically to overcome the baggage of the Fichts and early Etec issues and drag back market share from the 4 strokes, BRP basically have to totally perfect their 2 stroke technology and reliability I reckon....it will be great if these Gen2 and 3 cyl ,motors actually achieve such lofty heights..
    I guess only time will tell, buying transom might help, but, it's such a small market compared to what they are facing globally, they already have the engines, so, it's either pig headed directors, marketing strategy or just hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Come out first how ?

Always time for a etec four stroke discussion there’s been nothing uncivil here about either of them

Brp inherited factory’s geared towards making two strokes specifically Fichts and what ever two strokes were being made and tried to make the fichts work themselves but couldn’t so you ended up with what became the etec line

Brp have resold rebadge four strokes before in smaller hp sizes and just before the take over their were larger Johnson’s 90s from memory
    Lots of Johnson 4 strokes were sold, way over 90HP, they were just rebadged Suzuki's so that at least kind of proves at one time 4 stroke alternatives were on the table.

my aunty was medical examiner and they had a beach house there, many times she would be asked to come out on a rescue to boat to watch them pull a body in.

Yep, there were many capsizes, but not to many deaths. Raglan has one of the best surfing breaks in NZ, quite often it was a race, 20 minutes over the divvy, after work for a surf or with the boat for a fish...... Black sand, but, got used to it.....

Col

https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/b...all-outboards/

thanks noelm i just couldn't remember all the sizes and didnt want to get jumped on for the wrong info

people here do realise the the etec injection system is still the same as the ficht system ?
    the main failure points were injectors leaning out or failing due to water contamination rusting the injectors or the oil lubrication system failing

etecs use a high pressure injector
    the other two brands use a low pressure injector with a secondary air pump which atomises the fuel after it leaves the injector
    also tohatsu with their tdli and merc optimax were direct injection engines, injecing into the inlet manifold not the cylinder directly

Both of those 2 strokes, and the Yamaha HPDI are no longer in production, (well at least in most of the world) Evinrude/BRP are holding all their eggs in one basket, being the only ones to persist with the 2 stroke technology. They do use a very unique injector system, no others use the same technology, good or bad is anyone's guess.

yeah just saying those that think etec was the first at everything well they were and it was a shit engine, others also had direct injection engines and they worked ok.

Yeah, the whole idea just kind of grew from pretty simple beginnings, EFI two strokes never really got off the ground, tighter and tighter emission laws made changes to all brands necessary, Yamaha introduced the HPDI, Mercury the Optimax, Tohatsu had a go too, and made a good go at it, even tighter emissions made 2 stroke technology very hard to comply, Yamaha were first to ditch theirs, Mercury held on for a bit longer, and Tohatsu hopped into bed with Honda (who must have been laughing) Yamaha and Mercury already had a big 4 stroke range available alongside their 2 strokes, so it was pretty easy for them to just side step a bit, Suzuki had been in and out of the outboard market for decades, and had a lot of experience in motor bikes, plus had small car engines at their disposal, their first foray into outboards was OK, a few inherent problems hit some models, but they hung in there, this of course is kind of how the old carby 2 strokes vanished from the market, there was simply no way to make them emission compliant. Modern 2 stroke outboards (of which there is one manufacturer) are running right on the edge of lubrication limits, don't be fooled into the less moving parts business, e-tecs are not like your old Victa mower that you can fix with a shifter and pliers, now all that said, I have no idea on BRP marketing strategy, they seem persistent and let's hope it pans out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    now all that said, I have no idea on BRP marketing strategy, they seem persistent and let's hope it pans out for them.
    BRP could be secretly developing hybrid or all electric outboards. If all electric, their slogan could be "one stroke - we want less, not more".

My guess is if (and it's a very big if) BRP decided to get out of the outboard business, it would be very swift, a simple stroke of the corporate pen would see production wind up in quick time, it's how companies like that work, but, they might be persistent buggers and just soldier on with development, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    BRP could be secretly developing hybrid or all electric outboards. If all electric, their slogan could be "one stroke - we want less, not more".
    The electric outboard has been discussed and disected over and over, the biggest drawback is the batteries and charging, batteries need to be big and heavy, plus take ages to recharge, but, in time.....

Imo u don't need a whole array of one off tools to fix a 4 stroke to a Etec general outboard tool kit will likely cover the whole job on either except the Etec uses a special conrod alignment tool and it is very expensive besides that its still an engine things like micrometers, calipers, bore gauges, feeler gauges, torque wrenches etc.. are all universal you may need the odd things like 12 point sockets but a general mechanic will have these kind of tools

but yeah u wouldn't want to tinker with any modern engine with a pair of pliers and a shifter spanner and a dirty big hammer

i dont know anyone who cares about repairing the things, if they break outside warranty its just bad luck
    no one buys caring how hard they are to rebuild

you expect them to last past warranty if looked after

Somethings are well worth repairing just because its been repaired doesnt make it any less than it was new it just dont have that brand new shiny novelty to go with it

If u own a second hand car steve it may have had parts replaced it may have a new rebuilt engine it may even have shiny parts old mate told u he polished from new to keep it prestine but really he replaced it you will never know..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

cars are nothing like outboards, a car breaks down you walk. a boat breaks down your in shit many times
    any outboard that says "rebuilt" will sit on gumtree forever untill a fool who knows no better comes along