Thread: telescopic rods?

telescopic rods?

living a little way out of town and in Queensland where even in the heart of summer the light never hangs around long (day light savings being to complicated for this lot) i find myself a bit stuck if a good fishing opportunity arises. I'm looking at keeping an emergency fishing outfit in the car, small tackle box with the basics and a telescopic rod and one of my old reels.
    How well do these things actually work? Will it end up seizing up or snapping after a few trips or are they reasonably well thought out and put together?

I've seen some cheaper option in BCf that look tempting, it will only be for light river work so no great strength is needed but reasonable sensitivity is required.

Are they worth a look or should i look at a a smaller 2 piece rod with a case for a bit more money and space requirements?

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Re: telescopic rods?

Have a look at the Samaki Zing travel rods.
    I disliked multi piece rods however recently grabbed one while in weipa for work. Beautiful rod to use and I've already placed my order with the mrs for the same rod in baitcast. Around $160-$180 from memory.
    I have a single piece Zing in the same weight range and to be honest I can't pick the difference.

One of the guys that was away with me had a $26 eBay telescopic with reel that he used up there. The reel was garbage but the rod was almost ok to use. Decent casting and ok lure feel, however not sure how it would have ended up if he hooked anything solid.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

As for tackle storage I have a small bumbag from BCF that fits plenty of plastics a small tray for hard body lures pouches for tools etc as well as a bit more gear. It lived in the car when I was in Townsville enough gear for a flick to or from work or when exploring new ground on foot. Keep the zippers well lubed tho as that let's them down if not maintained.

i'm pretty sorted for take, i had a kids take box lying around that just had some old lures in it so its been repurposed for my travel kit and fits perfectly under the passenger seat.
    i think i might give a tele rod a go as they arnt all that expensive so if it all goes wrong i can go and get something in a multi piece for a bit more money.

If you are storing it in a car a standard two piece should fit without too much hassle under a seat or similar. If you are going for something smaller/shorter, I agree with the above sentiments of a travel rod. Mine is one of the 5 piece Berkley Nomadic series and has caught fish from bream and flathead to queenies and mackerel without issue. Probably not quite the quality of the Samaki but not quite the price either.

Flying regularly to the Gold Coast from Melbourne, I've searched for the 'ideal' travel rod, and found it in the Crucis 7244, 7ft 4-piece rod. Nano graphite, Sic guides, casts a 3gm jig for bream, but still punches out 15gm slugs for tailor. Best fish to date on it was a 3kg Jack (est.) and heaviest, a 25lb Eagle ray. Yet light enough for bream and trout in the fresh. It fishes between 2 and 4kg beautifully, and I wouldn't be afraid to go a little heavier, either. I've seen them recently on fleabay for around $150. Best rod I've bought - and that includes a Revolution Travel inshore!
    Supplied with a cloth bag, it now lives in a home-made PVC cylinder, 21 inches long, and goes wherever I do.
    I'd love a good telescopic rod - Silstar made a really good graphite one some 20 years ago, and although I've seen some top telescopics on an online shop, I've never seen one 'in the flesh', so I'm not too sure of their performance. Most telescopics I've seen lately are graphite composite, with solid tips - and lack that subtle sweetness for casting lighter weights.
    http://www.fishingtackleworld.com.au...l-7244-72.html