Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody else out there (who's a keen fisherman) allergic to fish?

Is anybody else out there (who's a keen fisherman) allergic to fish?

I've been having dramas over the last few years with my hands reacting to something and I've just recently had some blood tests and they say I'm allergic to seafood. Has anybody else come across this and how have you got around it?

Re: Is anybody else out there (who's a keen fisherman) allergic to fish?

If you can eat surley your not allergic to it, I've had my hands peeling layers of skin after every time I go fishing. It started 3months ago when I used ct18 straight and I had a reaction to it. They are bloody sore after a day out but worth the pain ahah. I figure they will sort them selves out.
    Nick

My cousin was a top level seafood chef, went to work one day and had a seizure......his first sign of allergy. Had a heart attack two days later. Can't even touch a bar of soap someone used to wash thier fishy hands now.

Do not ignore a seafood allergy, it can be fatal.
    Jack.

The doc says it's rare but some people can have no reaction when eating it but can react to touching fish. Have to wait till my hands clear up to test the theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    If you can eat surley your not allergic to it, I've had my hands peeling layers of skin after every time I go fishing. It started 3months ago when I used ct18 straight and I had a reaction to it. They are bloody sore after a day out but worth the pain ahah. I figure they will sort them selves out.
    Nick
    Had something similar when I was younger and spent a lot more time on the water (not working) than I get to do now. From memory (long time ago - somewhat vague) the doc told me it sort of like a dermatitis. It did go away but I don't recall whether that was due to time or treatment. Right about it being bloody painful - stiff hands sort of like arthritis and skin basically falling off once it had been wet for a while.

I'm highly allergic I almost died when I was about 18 months old it was the first time I had tried fish my throat swelled up and the had bad hives. It was hard growing up spending time at the beach with a fishing family everything I touched gave a reaction I couldn't even be in the water while dad fed the pelicans. While I haven't had a bad reaction since I was a kid I still get itchy and hives but I still fish not all seafood worries me I can handle crabs,mackerel,tuna and squid things like pilchards and whiting are the worst.

A family friend has a similar situation but loves fishing. He wears latex gloves when we're on holidays and just cops it at the end so he gets some sick days when he gets back to work.

A mate of mine can eat fish and seafood until it comes out of his ears, but going fishing and touching fish for a day is not good. His hands peel skin for the next week. If you come up with any fixes i will let him know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by feral cat View Post
    A mate of mine can eat fish and seafood until it comes out of his ears, but going fishing and touching fish for a day is not good. His hands peel skin for the next week. If you come up with any fixes i will let him know for sure.
    X2
    I am the same

Are the symptoms you guys are describing something like Ciguatera poisoning?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

My hands would come up in watery blisters and peel a few days after handling purchased pilchards only. Never a reaction to pilchards taken fresh from the surf or any other handled fish. After some investigation many years ago, it was deemed likely that a preservative being used on the pilchards was the cause.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Are the symptoms you guys are describing something like Ciguatera poisoning?
    symptoms of ciguatera poisoning

nausea,
    vomiting,
    diarrhea,
    muscle pain,
    numbness,
    tingling,
    abdominal pain,
    dizziness, and
    vertigo.

A mate of mine can handle any fish by touch, but is allergic to eat them. Another friend is only allergic to shellfish, prawns and scallops, but can eat fish fillets.

There are many different types of allergies, some you are born with, and some build up over time. Ciguetera is one form, and you may have it if you cant eat seafood.

Unfortunately, most of these have no known cure.

Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

I seem to come up all shakey and sweaty if I haven't touched a fish for a few days. Get all anxious and nasty, particularly if the weather is fine.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    My hands would come up in watery blisters and peel a few days after handling purchased pilchards only. Never a reaction to pilchards taken fresh from the surf or any other handled fish. After some investigation many years ago, it was deemed likely that a preservative being used on the pilchards was the cause.
    IQF pillies? I've been wondering about preservatives in the bait as I've been using IQF pillies since I started fishing seriously.