Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What reel for my new "Bring it on"

What reel for my new "Bring it on"

What's people's reccomendation for reel for my new "Bring it on"? Bought it to take to 1770 so thinking trout and other reefies. I have a near new Tyrnos 30 (Single speed) on a rod I absolutley hate so could use that or if better options would splash out on a new one.

Thinking 50lb braid to spool it up, currently the T. 30 has 50lb mono.

Cheers
    Brent

Re: What reel for my new "Bring it on"

T30 is a good reel but heavy to fish with all day and spool width can add to instability. Given that the rod is soft and you probably won't be using it for deep dropping I would be looking at some of the narrower spool, smaller and lighter reels. From there it will depend on whether you want star or lever drag and just how much you want to spend. I have a couple of Saltists (one lever, one star drag) that I use for general day to day stuff that are ok and the Tyrnos only gets a run if the current requires big leads or we are fishing deep. All the majors should have something in their ranges at various price points if you have a particular brand of preference.

Agree, the weight of the T30 puts me off, I only use it for trolling so might just leave the mono on and get something else. Never owned a Daiwa reel so maybe time to give one a go.

Take the rod into the tackle store and get them to fit the reels to it so you can feel how they sit in your hand and how the balance is when you go for a look.

as scottar has said mate take it in i would be looking at the 12-16 size for shimano or the 20-30 for daiwa the still have great stopping power. i have a saliga LD40 spooled with 50 pound and it is my go to real .......float line with it jig with it bottom bash and fish light as well i also troll but the 20 would be the perfect size for trout and the bay also around the cape for snappa. the saltist is also a pretty blue if you want 2 speed
    happy days ahead summer is coming

My choice would be a Torsa 16 or 20. Not cheap but hard to use anything else once you have used one.
    Talica 12 or 16 for the two speed option and much lighter with great line capacity.

Crunchy I use a tynos 16,with 35lb schnider blue pretty cheap & lite..also a torsa 20 with 50lb braid..i prefer the mono set up in the shallows this year ,in the past ive used braid but I reckon when their tentative they can feel you back & puts them off...imo

I have a talica 10 and a 12, for the 50lb i would go the 12 unless you like to fish very light and work the fish a bit more.
    i have had mine for over two years now and they cop a flogging and have not had any maintenance at all and still run smooth as new.

Hi Crunchy,
    You got your rod.....
    I'd try Trinidad 30A, Tyrnos 16, Torsa 20 if you can get one or Diawa Saltiga overhead

Tomorrow, you?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Tomorrow, you?
    I got mine last Saturday.
    Seen yours, looked great.... was in the drying stages.

Get our electrafish Friday!!

Did you pick up your gaff Rob or do you want me to grab it??

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Get our electrafish Friday!!

Did you pick up your gaff Rob or do you want me to grab it??
    Nice one Tony,
    You'll be the electric reel fishing king before you know it
    Thanks for the offer, but Mark still has one more gaff to finish off & I was going to order some more special rods.
    I just need more!!!!!!!!!!!

Crunchy ive got a tyrnos 20 in excellent condition with 80£ braid and wind on leader for $300 if you like! It is on a texalium rod for an extra $100 if your interested!! Cheers��

Thanks cods but not going down the Tyrnos path with this rod,