Thread: Snagged lure retrieval gadgets which is the best?

Question Snagged lure retrieval gadgets which is the best?

You know, the ones that clip onto your line and slide down to either dislodge the lure or hook onto the trebles.
    Seen some that are a piece of lead and wire bent into a certain shape (tackle back) then there are ones like a solid steel pipe with some chain on them, like the Murrays Monster one which claims to retrieve 99% of snagged lures, including spinnerbaits.....
    Id be using it in freshwater in depths up to 30m, so which would work best?
    .......Ash

Re: Snagged lure retrieval gadgets which is the best?

We used to use the one that slid down your line and and hooked over your swivel like the tackle back, they seemed to work pretty good and were also good for bringing out jacks that had wrapped you around a snag.

After using tacklebacks and a version of the chain fitted ones for impoundment barra fishing, we now carry two. The first is the extendable aluminium pole with the pigtale on the end - bit awkward to store as its about 2 metres long and extends to 4 metres - it's the goto in shallower situations or when a fish has gone into a snag sideways. The other is a larger, heavier, homemade one fashioned on a tackleback. The issue with the tackleback was the requirement for some sort of hardware on the front of the lure for it to grab if you are using bigger lures, couple with the lack of weight for seriously deep work - even more so if you don't have an electric with spot lock. The drag on the retrieval line in a bit of breeze as the boat moves makes it difficult to stay in touch with the thing to get a feel for what is going on. The one I have made weighs about half a kilo and has a front bow large enough to go right over a barra size lure and get into the trebles - that is if the extra weight doesn't just knock it off the snag to start with. Since starting to carry these two I haven't lost a lure that wasn't attached to a fish - sometimes they just go round too much stuff.

If you do go for a factory tackleback - get the largest heaviest one. Can't comment specifically on the Murrays Monster but the chain one I had wasn't much chop - a lot of the time you could not get the chains to catch a treble.

Have a sure catch one that is similar to a tackle back in design but weighs a kilo - it is the ducks. Knocks the lure off nearly every time - normally only fails if you've wrapped the line by not backing up straight etc. little bit difficult to use in a strong current - but that's a factor for all tackle backs... cost bugger all many years ago and stills save me money every luring trip!!

I've used most and the best I've found is one with the chains. An extendable pole is handy to have in the boat as well though, esp if you vas a lure up into a tree.
    ~~~><))))*>

Thanks for the replys, I think I'll give one of the ones with the chain on a go.

cheers
    .......Ash

I think mine is called a Snafu, it apparently stands for "situation normal all fouled up"
    ~~~><))))*>

I've never had an issue with the original tackle back. Mine is kept on an old baitcaster spooled with 130lb Braid on a broken 664 Loomis rod. It's handy, quick and doesn't angle up.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Lately I have been using those large clip on sinkers run straight down the line to bump them free.......works most times and I dont have to control a tackleback as well as a rod.
    Jack.

Tackle warehouse had quite a range to choose from. Ended up with one of these, basically a bit of pipe filled with lead. Pretty compact but weighty with lots of chain to hopefully get caught on hooks. No name brand as apparently these are made by some old bloke down south somewhere...

.......Ash

Haven't used my tackleback since I bought a telescopic pole with a pigtail,I find it easier and miles quicker.

Does it extend down to 30m though...?
    .......Ash

I made mine from a piece of brass hex 20mm AF about 150mm long with dog chain hanging from the underside of the twist on connections similar style to the photo above but configured like a deep diving lure with chain instead of trebles. Venetian blind cord on front.