Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of date flares

Re: Out of date flares

David,

The Flare demos we do are hands on, we dont let them off, the people being trained let them off. WE have done these many times. And yes it would be opened up to people that have flares coming up on their expiry, or hey a couple of mates get together and split the cost and its pretty cheap to learn how to use something that may save your life. What do they cost $75 odd dollars for 2 orange and 2 red.

Good point about the price structure.

So what about we get started by getting a list of those interested, who have flares due for retirement, but not yet expired.

Also those who would be prepared to purchase 1 day , and 1 night flare.

In that way we may be able to work out a date.

Back to you guys. Send me a PM
    David

they go good on the banks of the Condamine River..just saying
    Cheers,
    Chong

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I would be keen to bring the family and pop off some flares. Good excuse to replace those in the boat for a fresh batch.
    Failing that I know what I'll be doing with the kids and mrs next time I visit mum and dad on the farm

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    I know what I'll be doing with the kids and mrs next time I visit mum and dad on the farm
    LOL. Just pick a paddock with nothing in it. One of the engineers at work lives up Cairns way. when he was a kid, he and some of his mates thought it would be a bit of a lark to play with some parachute flares. All good except for the impromptu cane burn off.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I may or may not have destroyed a couple of barley crops in my younger days.... Pretty sure I still wear the belt marks to proove it too.... In my defence the 5l of super showed that ants nest who was boss! It was the putting out part post ant extermination that let me down.

We actually got a warning the other day for our flares being out of date, we were only 1 mile from the mouth of the river and I asked the water police about keeping the out of date flares as a back up and he said it was fine, I guess it depends who you get on the day but he even said he would keep them as spares and use them first in the event that you need them.

Sharkey, it comes under the explosives act, or what ever its called. You cannot keep them if they are out of date. I have done a lot of research on this in the past
    David

How to dispose of marine flares

You must dispose of out-of-date flares as soon as possible. Expiry dates are stamped on the side of each flare.
    Out-of-date marine flares can be disposed of in special collection bins provided by the Queensland Department of Transport at:

• Volunteer Marine Rescue
    • Australian Volunteer Coast Guard
    • Queensland Transport Maritime Safety Queensland.

Refer to the list of flare disposal locations ( http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Dis...locations.aspx ) on the Maritime Safety Queensland website

I was just saying exactly what the water police told us, as I said it will be up to the officer that you talk to at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    Sharkey, it comes under the explosives act, or what ever its called. You cannot keep them if they are out of date. I have done a lot of research on this in the past
    David
    As I understand it only a DNRM inspector can issue a fine for out of date flares so the chance of getting a fine is negligable, but certainly not good practice to keep old or damaged flares on board but they don't spontaneously combust the day after the expiry date either. I keep the previous set as extra on board but not the ones before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    As I understand it only a DNRM inspector can issue a fine for out of date flares so the chance of getting a fine is negligable, but certainly not good practice to keep old or damaged flares on board but they don't spontaneously combust the day after the expiry date either. I keep the previous set as extra on board but not the ones before that.
    Yea I'm not promoting the keeping old out of date flares, I personally keep the out of date ones for about a year to 18 months then get rid of them,

Please dont let them off anywhere unless its an emergency or you have a permit. We all have an obligation to report flare sightings, and if I see them from the boat, or from the plane, I will report it because I have no idea if its an emergency or not.

If flares are being lit as part of an excercise and I call it in, then at least AMSA is aware and will disregard the sighting. The same cannot be said if you set them off elsewhere.