Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Hook rig storage

    Hi
    I am heading to Swains reef at the end of the month. I am looking at tying most of my rigs prior to the trip. What do people store there made up rigs in?
    I do not want to sit in a tinnie tying knots. I have wrapped the hooks, line and swivel in alfoil previously with some success.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.


    Tryhard
    Last edited by tryhard; 08-08-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: correction

  2. #2

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Coin bags from the bank. Tell them you need a heap as you have a money box to sort out. Failing that, sandwich bags. Bank ones are free though.

  3. #3

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Yer i just use ziplock bags

  4. #4

    Re: Hook rig storage

    I have seen where someone used a pool noodle cut down to about a 12 inches. He then pushed the hooks in and and had cut slits into it. He then wrapped the line around and pulled the end into the slits.
    Hope that makes sense.

  5. #5

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Pool noodles work well but are bulky. I use the ziplock bags as well and add a squirt of wd40. The ziplocks don't keep the rigs as tangle free as a pool noodle but they usually don't take too long to sort out.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  6. #6

    Re: Hook rig storage

    The problem is when we rush to the tacklebox like it's a Beer fridge most of us including me dive in with salty hands, hooks flying looking for that one item while coating everything with salt. That's fishing. I still haven't learned to wipe or wash my hands. I think that's vital to having gear that lasts a little longer in the tacklebox.

  7. #7

    Re: Hook rig storage

    I premake all my rigs and just use snaplock bags. Always put the sinker in first and when you lift the rig out grab the sinker to do it seems to be the best way. You still get some minor tangles but nothing bad. I also keep ALL my tackle in snap lock bags and tip the items out, i never put a dirty hand in the bag, keeps salt out of your gear.

  8. #8

    Re: Hook rig storage

    i cut up 6 inch long and 4 inch wide peices of cardbord and put a slit in both ends that gives me the option of paternoska rigs mixed with float line rigs normally have 4 rigs per peice of cardboard never get tangles and finish by putting in ziplock bags with labe as to what is in each bag
    happy days ahead summer is coming

  9. #9

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Used the pool noodle idea and it works really well, well it did until I grabbed the hand rail without looking and ended up with a trebble embedded into my thumb, now I use foil bags with an easy tear nick which I seal with a cheap hand sealer - works pretty good.

  10. #10

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Lure Tackle roles with the plastic sleeves inside then a few liberal doses of lanolin on the hooks/swivels.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  11. #11

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Use suitable lengths of PVC tube with slots each end - one for the hook/gang and the other for the swivel.
    Saves on untangling rigs from a zip lock bag

  12. #12

    Re: Hook rig storage

    What boat are you going on ? Des

  13. #13

    Re: Hook rig storage

    Thanks for all of the replies. I have gone with the pool noodle option which seems to work well. Hopefully I do not get a hook in the hand. I am going on the Australiana for the for the first time. Have done the Swains for several years out of the Gray scout but to my knowledge it no longer does charters since being sold. I would much rather be fishing then tying knots in a tinnie.
    I have made up some wire trace rigs and placed them in alfoil.

    Thanks again for the replies

  14. #14

    Re: Hook rig storage

    depends on the rigs and the size. I use old film containers for smaller rigs as they are water proof and can be stored in pockets and any old place thats free. i keep a small ice-cream tub in the side of the boat filled with bottom bouncing rigs with the line and hooks won around the sinker.
    a mate uses bits of foam and digs the hook in one end and winds the leader around a few times.

    pool noodles work well but are flimsy and degrade quickly in heat and salt so can fall to bits mid trip.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us