Thread: Tough Cape Trip

Tough Cape Trip

We headed out Thursday afternoon for an overnighter at the Cape. Deckies for the trip were my brother Ray and mate Mark.The forecasts were for great conditions, but on getting out wide of Flinders, we had a line of squalls, and around 15 knots of south easterly breeze causing quite lumpy conditions and making it hard to get a decent drift over the shows of fish. First drift saw us put two nice pearl perch in the ice box, but the following attempts only resulted in small snapper and pearlies being returned to the water. Final insult was when a nice bite saw a hook up for me and I wound up a tiger shark about 4 feet in length only to have it bite through the trace beside the boat.

We headed back to the shallow reefs where we have been catching some nice snapper on plastics on recent trips and again it was very quiet. We did not put another fish in the ice box before dark.

Just after dark, I anchored up on a nice lump of reef in just over 20 metres, and started a good berley trail. Floating unweighted pilchards saw us winding in planty of small fish, with undersized snapper and spangled emperor taking each bait placed in the water. Ray got a bit fed up with small fish and decided to put a big fish bait in the water. The bait was a whole mullet fillet. He got smashed, and the result was a new PB snapper for him.

The fish went 92cms and weighed in at 9.0kg back on shore today.

He followed that fish up with a 77cm mulloway and then Mark hooked an 85cm mulloway on an unweighted pilchard.

Mark's fish weighed just over 5kg.

Apart from a couple more keeper snapper, the evening went quiet so we retired back to Yellowpatch to get a sleep for the night. Daylight had us back in the shallows throwing plastics. The breeze was from the south west, and there were plenty of small snapper grabbing the plastics. I did manage one fish that went just on 60cms and Mark got a 50cm snapper.

We moved around a fair bit, but could not find any good numbers of fish, and once the wind went around to the north west, decided we were flogging a dead horse. Gave the boat a quick clean up and headed in to be greeted by glass calm conditions once back in the bay. So, despite the fishing being pretty tough, we still brought home a few good feeds.

cheers

Jeff

Re: Tough Cape Trip

Top report mate good effort by all
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Couple of crackers there well done

Tough Cape Trip

Well done Jeff, I won't whinge too much about my trip Friday, had a wrong start for the day which didn't get any better. It was a good day for a cruise through SPB but that was about it. Hardly any fish on sounder that we could target with any certainty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian. Certainly was a different day to the trip we had a couple of weeks ago. Working across the same areas, we could not find any bait at all, and as a consequence, no fish.

The fish we did get on the Friday morning were quite a ways south of that area. Once that wind went to the north west, even the few decent shows we found were shut down. Did not matter whether we tried plastics or bait.

Cheers

Jeff

Great report and fish to match. The smiles say it all

Couple of older familiar faces there! Sending you a PM.