Thread: tings

tings

what a difference a day makes

went out yesterday solo, left manly after 10-30am, went to the rouse area, by 1pm I only had 12, then I found them and bagged out by 2-15pm

today took mate out, we tried rouse, fisherman's gutter back to rouse, before the entrance to the rouse and only got 38 whiting

but I will point out yesterday when I bagged out, I went over to a large boat about 200 metres away with 3 onboard and asked how they were going and they said they can even see the whiting but they cant get them to bite, I showed them my catch and where I was, and they moved over there, just goes to show you sometimes have to be on the spot and also there one day gone the next....hope they got a good feed anyway, after I left them to it

cheers
    Robin

Re: tings

Couldnt agree moreRobin.

we have been nailing them lately and today could only manage 40

Do you guys normally drift or anchor, use paternoster or running rig, and cast or fish straight under the boat? I've only ever fished whiting a few times because the missus wants a feed and I'll be laughing if I get ONLY 40!
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Robin I was out there on Thursday as well in a red and white half cab. What boat were you in? I laughed at the guy in the 40 foot bay cruiser drifting for whiting. Talk about over kill.

Hi Gimme

Only thing I can comment on is last weekend, I was dropping mind and the kids lines straight down rather than casting out a bit. My old man was casting out a bit and he was catching fish and we weren't. As soon as I started casting out, I started to get a few. No idea why, but it seemed to work.

mark

Whiting like some movement in the bait. On days with a slow drift, casting out and slow retrieving can help. Same with just jigging (bouncing the sinker off the bottom). That'll usually get em chewing. And casting out also covers a little more real estate.
    Peter

Gimme5, I use a paternoster with 2 hooks, I prefer to drift, use a heavier sinker than required with my theory, with the sinker drifting, it is stirring up the sand as it bumps over it, attracting the whiting to find out what is stirring up the sand......having said that sometimes I will anchor if I find them thick in a certain spot, or I am using a burley bag

Shagga, I have a 4-8 metre savage ranger, white colour, with ausfish stickers on both side windscreens, how did you go on Thursday?

cheers
    Robin

We got 80 this morning in a couple hours at the western end of the Rous. Average quality, a few nice ones amongst them. On squid.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

took young bloke and father inlaw out today to old compass buoy area. We managed 75 avg-good size, biggest around 26cm.
    Caught most on small bits of prawn, the rest on squid. Caught some running paternoster, some on standard rig. Great day out.
    Big thanks to Greg for the tips
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

moonlighter, did you see your fishing club mate Cumner out there, he caught about 40

Well done Dean.

Robins description is spot on.

greg

Nope, didn't see them. Don't really know him, I don't think he is active in the PBA club much.

Was with another mate. He did ok too. Fished in about 5-6m same spot as last weekend, we were into them as soon as we got there. They went a bit quiet so we went to look for some squid, which we didn't find.

i am going to take a couple of bags of the ting frames to 1770 in a months time, to see how reds like them. Will let you know the results.

On the way home just near the entrance to the small ships, we came across a herd of dugong, and I mean there were at least 20, maybe more of them just on the edge of the how slow zone. Slowed down and they swam around us for a bit before they moved along. They can motor along when they want to, that's for sure.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    Gimme5, I use a paternoster with 2 hooks, I prefer to drift, use a heavier sinker than required with my theory, with the sinker drifting, it is stirring up the sand as it bumps over it, attracting the whiting to find out what is stirring up the sand......having said that sometimes I will anchor if I find them thick in a certain spot, or I am using a burley bag

Shagga, I have a 4-8 metre savage ranger, white colour, with ausfish stickers on both side windscreens, how did you go on Thursday?

cheers
    Robin
    Robin got a dozen good quality and one pan size squire

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Well done Dean.

Robins description is spot on.

greg
    we moved around a bit. When they stopped biting, head back to start of drift and they were on again. As soon as tide stops and no wind, no whiting. Plenty of pesky pike around too on the slack tide. Dolphins and turtles were everywhere. How did you daughter and crew go ?
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.