Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1770. Fitzroy to Musgrave

1770. Fitzroy to Musgrave

Headed up to 1770 on Saturday morning in the trusty Cruise Craft. Hit the water about lunchtime and cruised up to the wrecks in glorious conditions. We got a few Kings etc on jigs, but it shut down pretty quick so we made our way up to Fitzroy via s couple of marks for little result. Overnight in the lagoon was pretty busy and the wind came up slightly though not enough for discomfort.
    sunday dawned beautiful again and we targeted the SW Cnr of Fitzroy for a mixed bag of reefies, but nothing to write home about. Just nice enjoying the primo conditions! We made the run down to Zmusgrave and after lunch in the lagoon, headed out to Stuart's Shoal for some trolling.
    The pelagics were on, though mostly Mac Tuna, we did score a 10kg Yellowfin and 2 cracking Wahoo that I cdlled 18 and 25kg. This was the result of a double hookup and it was madness in our little boat for a while!
    Stayed Sundsy night in the LM lagoon and the wind was pushing 20 kts. The next morning we hand fed a big cod at the anchorage before adding a few more reefies to the box in the shallows outside.
    The run home was quite ordinary and slow, but who cares after 2 nights in paradise! Can't wait for the next one!
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	110236   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	110235   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	110234   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	110233   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	110232  

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	110231   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	110230  
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: 1770. Fitzroy to Musgrave

That's a good effort well done.

You make it sound simple, but that's what I need to hear. You never ever know if you never ever go. One day I will!

Thanks
    Scalem

thats a nice feed there mate did you try any popping?
    those conditions looked perfect cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    You make it sound simple, but that's what I need to hear. You never ever know if you never ever go. One day I will!
    it is pretty simple, but a fair effort to do the miles (road and sea). I'm no Captain Cook, so if I can run around out there in my 24 year old boat, I reckon anyone can! Weather does play a vital role though.
    JSM,
    our mates in the centre console had a couple of quick pops, but no action. There wasn't big tide run, so probably not worth a lot of effort.

Thanks
    Scalem
    love this place!

Great trip - how much fuel did you go through with the 140 zuke?

We had used about 100-110 by Sunday night, so all up roughly 150 I'd say. Brilliant economy!

Some cracking Wahoo there. I've also PM you about the performance of the Suzuki on your cruise craft.

Cheers Aaron
    Last edited by No Excuses; 28-07-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Mistake

What did you catch the Wahoo on?

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    What did you catch the Wahoo on?
    i got mine on this Xrap. As soon as I saw that colour, I knew it would be a winner and trolling 3-4 lures, it hooked half the fish. Justin got his Wahoo on a Halco Laser pro
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	110238  

Quote Originally Posted by No Excuses View Post
    Some cracking Wahoo there. I've also PM you about the performance of the Suzuki on your cruise craft.

Cheers Aaron
    Hi Aaron,
    i didn't get your message, but for the record, the 140 goes fine. It's not a rocket ship out of the hole, but it certainly isn't hopeless. Loaded up for a trip like this, I can still get 32-33 kts at 6200 and on a quick family trip will see 36-37kts. Economy is great, I've seen 2.5k per litre on a solo day trip and 2 k per litre is average. I think it's a really good match for the boat as it's not a quick hull anyway. From what I've been told, it's best not to put a heavy motor on these boats and the 140 Suzi is best in class. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Hey mate, great report. I'm hoping to get up that way in the near future. Those fuel figures are ridiculasly good. What size and weight is the boat. I'm blow away by those figures

cheers Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Hey mate, great report. I'm hoping to get up that way in the near future. Those fuel figures are ridiculasly good. What size and weight is the boat. I'm blow away by those figures

cheers Nick
    yep, spectacular hey?! The hull is a 91 Cruise Craft 580 Outsider. I believe bare hull weight is about 900kg. There's only 2 of us on board, but we had 2 eskies, 40kg ice, freshwater, 160l fuel under floor, 4 x 20l jerries (didn't need them), plus all the cooking and bedding for 2 nights out.
    If you're going to stay in either lagoon for the night (Highly recommended) make sure you head in during the day, so you can see the Bombies, and make a track on your GPS. That way, you can safely leave or enter in low light conditions.

Great stuff. This is what its all about imo

Older cruisecraft and new 4 stroke is a great combo

looks like you had a good time. It's good to see a fello SIMRAD owner. There's not that many of us out there. I'm very happy with my 2 NSS8 units. How about you?