Thread: Beach fishing at fraser

Beach fishing at fraser

Im looking for peoples opinions, I'm looking for the best set up for chasing tailor? Iv previously had a gary howard greenback with a 650 alvey.
    Im looking for a different option. Any advice?

Thanks rhys

Re: Beach fishing at fraser

Gary Howard surf classic medium, Snyderglas mag surf. They are all different, but I think as capable as what you had. More graphite than the greenback in these, which I believe is pretty much a traditional glass rod. Some others may elaborate.
    I have used a mates live fibre, forget the exact model name, I think a "medium" 13.5ft that you see about everywhere, but for some reason I didn't like it, but that may have Been just me.

i have a second original Snyderglas mag surf I can part with if you were interested in buying one. I will keep the other I have.

Surf Classic medium is my preferred rod. I also have the greenback, but hardly use it now. The SCM is lighter, and can still through a heavy sinker when required.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoofa View Post
    Surf Classic medium is my preferred rod. I also have the greenback, but hardly use it now. The SCM is lighter, and can still through a heavy sinker when required.
    That is my exact experience, but I still use the greenback I have as well some times.

Thanks for the info, i was looking at the surf classic. doesn't look to bad. Wass also looking at th penn prevail surf.

Ive also always used alveys, whats people thoughts on spin reels in the surf?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys_Mav View Post
    Thanks for the info, i was looking at the surf classic. doesn't look to bad. Wass also looking at th penn prevail surf.

Ive also always used alveys, whats people thoughts on spin reels in the surf?
    I have used (and have) all of the above. The Prevails I would say are really a spinning/slug casting option. I wouldn't look at using them for bait fishing for tailor, where I stick to Alveys. The Surf Classic is a totally different rod in that regard to al the other options listed.
    I have mates who have never used Alveys (couldn't even cast them). They have gone to Fraser with me and after one decent session borrowing an alvey on a 13.5ft rod were complete converts and no longer touch their spin gear when fishing with bait, particularly when in the surf.

All of my earlier comments on rods were on the assumption of Alvey reels. I still think you can't go past them for bait fishing the surf. If you took a trip to Fraser island tailor fishing, you will not see many (if any) spin reels being used for bait fishing. Again, if spinning with slugs that is a totally different discussion.

Hey, I've owned snyder mag surfs, greenbacks and the GH surf classic medium and heavy.

The greenback and the Snyders are fine old rods and I'd happily use them. The surf classics, imho, leave them for dead.

They cast better, load up better, give you better feel in the surf and are lighter to hold on to. The only draw back is being faster action they do tend to tear up soft baits during big casts(especially the surf classic heavy), but careful baiting helps a lot with this.

The other advantage of the surf classics is the ferules on the 2 piece rods are really thin and barely effect the action as opposed to the others where the ferrule puts a distinct stiff spot into the rod.

Oh and Alvey all the way for the surf, no question!

Unless you are going to be doing heaps of lure fishing in the surf, an Alvey set-up is always better IMHO.

I do have a couple of spin outfits for surf/rocks but I always end up using the Alvey more often.

As mentioned, a faster action will tear a soft bait to bits and one of my spin outfits does this so it's just a lure outfit now.

Just got back yesterday, the weed is now gone and the Tailor are starting to come on in the gutters, not in big numbers yet and they are only coming on the chew right on dusk. I didn't see any caught in the day time low tide gutters, the average size is about 38cms at the moment. 99% of anglers are using Alvey setups and pilchards on gang hooks, none are being taken on metals at the moment.