Thread: where to catch kingies offshore from caloundra/cape moreton

where to catch kingies offshore from caloundra/cape moreton

So I have recently purchased a new boat (amm 6.2) and have really started to get back into offshore fishing. I have no problem going out and catching a good feed of pearlies or snapper.However, I would love to get stuck into some kingies on the jiggs but so far my attempts have been in vain. The term "all the gear and no idea is probably a good description".
    Im wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on where I should be looking to try and target the kingfish? Im not looking for anyones gps marks or secret spots. Just some rough guides. For example:
    How deep should the water be
    What sort of bottom features
    Time of year
    Should I head north and fish around caloundra wide? Or head east of cape moreton?
    Any advice or hints would be very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Seametre

Re: where to catch kingies offshore from caloundra/cape moreton

Start gathering some yakkas and slimeys to take out with you. Start dropping them in the same areas and work out where they are. They definately prefer the bigger ledges though. Pearlies and snapper can hang on small ledges and wire weed but the big concentrations of seriolas are on the biggest structures or most bait. That said, I am being amazed at how many are out on random ground roaming around too. Livies or micro jigs will find them. Big jigs are too much hard work for little reward. The problem with micro jigs is you get more bites but then get dusted more on the light gear.

Re: where to catch kingies offshore from caloundra/cape moreton

They can be found in various depths ranging from quite shallow to very deep..

If you get yourself some deep wreck marks in either of those areas and concentrate your efforts on these, you will find plenty of kings and aj's to stretch your arms!

They also love the big knife jigs, they don't have to be expensive ones either!

Happy hunting and hope you have a good strong back